Inbound accessible behind a Linksys wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecrumb

Beta member
I have four computers sharing a broadband connection to the internet via a linksys WRT54G wireless router. I want one of my units to be accessible from across the web. Can anyone out there tell me how I can make one of my units be accessible from the web, from behind this wireless router? The trouble is the local IP addresses assigned to each unit on the router. How can I have a client system e.g. (my laptop from a hotel's internet connection) connect to that specific unit while it's accessing the internet through the internet IP address assigned to the router. I want to be able to access one particular unit connecting throw my wireless router from the web without having to have another internet IP address. Remember, I have four units sharing one high speed cable connection via a Linksys wireless router Mod:# WRT54G. Thanks for any and all help given.

NAT and or PAT or a DMZ option are usually available on most SOHO routers.

Can't say I've ever seen the setup on this model linksys, but, through the web configuration interface you should be able to set up one of the above. I would advise PAT (Port Address Translation) as this will minimise the amount of exposure your LAN machine gets.

So, choose a form of remote access. Find out which port(s) that access will use. Ensure the LAN machine in question doesn't go changing it's IP (if it's DHCP and you want this to be a permanent you might want to consider assigning a static IP). Then through the web interface specify that all incoming traffic on the specific port should be forwarded to the same port on the LAN machine.

You could get a bit trickier and specify a non-standard WAN port to be forwarded to the LAN machine then just point your remote access software to that port. Again, reducing the chances of someone stumbling across your machine.

The DMZ option is the easier option, but really a neddy no no as the machine you put as part of your DMZ will then receive ALL incoming traffic that would normally just hit and drop off your router. Big exposure.

Hope this helps. Let us know!

PAT

Thanks for the info Urf, but I need more. Below I will paste in a listing of my linksys WRT54G wireless router. Would you see if you can tell me the options needed to successfully configure it for the desired effect? I went to the DMZ option and I agree, I don't want to do that. Take a look at the options below and tell me what you can.

<SETUP>
Basic Setup | DDNS | MAC Address Clone | Advanced Routing

<Wireless>
Basic Wireless Settings | Wireless Security | Wireless MAC Filter | Advanced Wireless Settings

<Security>
Firewall | VPN

<Access Restrictions>
Internet Access

<Applications & Gaming >
Port Range Forward | Port Triggering | DMZ | QoS

<Administration>
Management | Log | Diagnostics | Factory Defaults |
Firmware Upgrade | Config Management

<Status>
Router | Local Network | Wireless

Applications and gaming - port range forwarding. What do you see under that section?

Yeah it should be under the option: Applications and gaming - port range forwarding. urf I've had a linksys router before and never seen the options you listed, so it has to be the port range forwarding. Just put the ip of your machine in the ip field, and put the port/port range in the appropriate field as well.

I don't know if you were going to use a program to remote access, but windows remote connection is as good as anything. Plus it's nicer in some ways to not have to install some extra software. I use remote connection a lot at work, and I believe the port is 3389.

I know in my local network, even though I have dhcp, my machines IP addresses don't change unless I switch nic cards or something. I "back up" what urf said though, that you should assign a static ip to the pc you're connecting to. You don't want to have your IP change on you when you're away, and then not be able to connect.

Obtruse_Man4 said:
Yeah it should be under the option: Applications and gaming - port range forwarding. urf I've had a linksys router before and never seen the options you listed, so it has to be the port range forwarding.

The Port Range forward option is PAT. NAT is automatic with these kinds of routers - option rarely listed. DMZ is under the Applications and Gaming section that ecrumb listed. So there are the options I spoke of.

How we looking ecrumb ?

Job well done

To Urf, Law and all the rest of you experienced and smart comrads, atta boys all 'round. Thanks for all the help. You guys really brought the mustard when it was needed. Hope I can return the favors at some point, but I'm sure I will be borrowing a cup of IT sweetener again soon. Thanks again guys.

IMO...It depends on what you're trying to access on the computer at home. If it's simply data, you might want to set up the home pc as an FTP Server. Then, you can set up that PC as a "virtual server" on your router, allowing ONLY FTP traffic in and out.

If you're interested in complete "user" access to the home PC, another option is to setup VNC on the home computer. VNC is a remote desktop utility. On the router you can setup access via the port addresses for VNC only, which will also provide a measure of security that DMZ doesn't provide.

If you set up the PC as an FTP, you can provide outside access by accessing the "Virtual Server" utility under "Advanced" tab.

If you decide to use VNC, you can provide access via the "Virtual Server" or "Firewall" utilities under the "Advanced" tab.

Servu is great (and free) FTP software....and VNC is available free on RealVNC.com.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom