Improving Internet Connection / Modem questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio1080

In Runtime
Hello guys, I upgraded my internet with Comcast from 5 Mbps to 25 Mbps in my area. Also, I changed the wireless router in the house from a very old D-Link to a Wireless-N Broadband Router (WRT160N) which reaches up to speeds up to 300 Mbps. I share the router with two other roommates. We all did a bandwidth test and got no where close to 25 Mbps. I'm plugged in thru the router an I get around 15 Mbps download and about 4 Mbps upload. Other roommates are also getting around the same results, both wired and wireless. I was thinking it was the modem from Comcast, the Motorola SB5120 which only goes up to 38 Mbps. I was thinking by switching the Modem to a Motorola SB6120 (Newegg.com - MOTOROLA SB6120 Cable Modem SURFboard eXtreme 160Mbps in DOCSIS mode and 195Mbps in EuroDOCSIS mode Ethernet Port DOCSIS 3.0) which goes up to 160 Mbps, we will be getting better results? I'm thinking the modem might be the problem, if not, then by updating the router? I'm a gamer and my other two roommates are also tech heads and we want what we paid for, 25Mbps. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

25mb line is huge! I have been on a 3mb line for years! I would guess 25mb is your advertised max speed but you may not always get that based on load. Call your provider and see if you should get 25mb all the time. the router won't slow you down, even your old one was capable of speeds far in excess of your connection speed.

Hey guys, thinks for yall's help. I called Comcast and it's the modem. There Blast package requires a modem to have DOCSIS 3.0 which or current modem the SB5120 only has DOCSIS 2.0. He told us to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 which is the SB6120 modem listed above. I knew this was the issue, just needed some second opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom