Impossible Internet problem (Please help.)

spalernTJ

Solid State Member
Hello - This is going to be my 3'rd time asking for help about this particular internet issue on the internet. So far, no other forum has been able to help me, and since the issue has been rising again these last few days, I am once more going to throw in my lot, and hope that someone can help me.

(THIS IS ON A CABLE CONNECTION, NO WIRELESS.) So what is the issue? I am not entirely sure. What happens, is that my internet will - At random dates and time of day, get these "hissy fits" where it will intermittently cut off, time and time again. And when I say random, I truly mean random. The internet can cut off once on a whole day, for all but 2-3 seconds, or it can go into modes where it will cut off up to 8-9 times within 5 minutes, or not at all. The intervals are also completely random, sometimes its back to back, sometimes its every few minutes, or an array of seconds.

The amount of time the internet cuts off is also completely random, I've had anything between 2 seconds, to 8 minutes of my internet cutting off. Which on some particularly bad days, have resulted in up to 40-60 minutes of downtown, where my internet will cut for off about 20 times in short bursts, mixed with long ones. It is not that bad these days, but as said, it has been rather bad today.

When it cuts off, the ethernet icon in the taskbar will get the red cross (Indicating there's no ethernet cable plugged) Then eventually yellow, and then back to normal. It is the red icon that dictates the length of the cut-out, as the reconnection usually happens very quickly.

I feel like I have tried just about -anything- to fix this problem, and I will include a list of this down below, so you can see what I have tried.

I have tried

- 3 different cables: My old, another random one I found, and a completely new one.
- 2 different sockets in my room.
- Directly connecting to the modem.

- Ordered a new modem, tried directly connecting to it.
- Completely change ISP.
- Got a third, new modem. Runs through television cables (Old one ran through something else, I guess phone?)

- Directly connecting into the third modem.
- Updating internet drivers
- Uninstalling and Reinstalling internet drivers
- Buying a new internet adapter
- Installed completely new drivers
- Updated said drivers
- Uninstalling and reinstalled the drivers
- Setting static IP & DNS
- New power adapter
- New computer screen
- Messing with computer power settings
- Messing with network settings
- Messing with modem settings
- Turning off all other appliances

I have probably tried more - At least all the basic stuff, and lots of the more complicated stuff. I am getting pretty desperate here, its an issue that has been going on for years, 5-6+ and always in waves. I'm a gamer, and the disconnects, no matter how small, still heavily disrupts my games, especially during competitive matches.

Your signal could be jumping at the exchange, if so you would need to contact an engineer who would be able to find any faults on your line if their is one. This would be done threw your ISP, you would need to contact them and ask them to send someone out. You mite have to pay for this I'm not sure.

How long is the cable you're using?
Where is the modem located to your relative location in the house?
When connecting directly to the modem do you mean computer to modem or computer to wall to modem?
What kind of cable are you using (cat 5e, cat 6 etc)?
When was the last time your PC has had a fresh format of Windows?

How long is the cable you're using?
Where is the modem located to your relative location in the house?
When connecting directly to the modem do you mean computer to modem or computer to wall to modem?
What kind of cable are you using (cat 5e, cat 6 etc)?
When was the last time your PC has had a fresh format of Windows?

I don't know much about cables and cable types. I do know one cable was the kind that's "Reversed"? Was an extra long one. The two others were a bit shorter, and pretty regular. But I have tried different types of cables. When I say direct connection, I mean directly from computer >> Modem. I do not have wireless at all, only wired.

I have reformatted and reinstalled my OS (Windows) 4 Times since this all started. The last one was about 1,5 week ago, when I was hit by a nasty trojan.

The modem's location is basically, right outside my door, 3 steps to the left, inside a hole in the wall, behind a mirror.

Other machines work fine, so does wireless for my PS4 and my parent's tablets / Phones.

I don't know much about cables and cable types. I do know one cable was the kind that's "Reversed"? Was an extra long one. The two others were a bit shorter, and pretty regular. But I have tried different types of cables. When I say direct connection, I mean directly from computer >> Modem. I do not have wireless at all, only wired.

I have reformatted and reinstalled my OS (Windows) 4 Times since this all started. The last one was about 1,5 week ago, when I was hit by a nasty trojan.

The modem's location is basically, right outside my door, 3 steps to the left, inside a hole in the wall, behind a mirror.

Other machines work fine, so does wireless for my PS4 and my parent's tablets / Phones.

Hi,

Which Network card are you using? have you replaced the network card? (where you plug the network cable into the PC)

As Spud said, check with ISP, could be faulty copper line, given you still have issue with new ISP..

Hi,

Which Network card are you using? have you replaced the network card? (where you plug the network cable into the PC)

As Spud said, check with ISP, could be faulty copper line, given you still have issue with new ISP..

I have tried calling my ISP they didn't know what was going on. I have tried 2 different network cards, same issue.

Didn't know what was going on? So they see a fault or not? Did the line test come back fine?

They said they could see there was some weird **** going on, but hey couldn't figure out what it was and just said they weren't really able to help, they said stuff were fine on their end.

They said they could see there was some weird **** going on, but hey couldn't figure out what it was and just said they weren't really able to help, they said stuff were fine on their end.
As in within your house, or the ISP lines?

Considering you said this happens only on your machine I'm more inclined to believe it's a localized issue. Which is why I was asking about cables, distance, etc. The easiest way to figure that out is use a different machine if possible on the same cable your current computer is using and see if it happens. If it doesn't you know it's your PC and nothing else is the issue.

In this instance I'm going to preemptively ask for the specs of your computer, the model of the extra network card you have tried in it, and the modem model you've spoken of.

As in within your house, or the ISP lines?

Considering you said this happens only on your machine I'm more inclined to believe it's a localized issue. Which is why I was asking about cables, distance, etc. The easiest way to figure that out is use a different machine if possible on the same cable your current computer is using and see if it happens. If it doesn't you know it's your PC and nothing else is the issue.

In this instance I'm going to preemptively ask for the specs of your computer, the model of the extra network card you have tried in it, and the modem model you've spoken of.

Hello. I do not have a reliable way of testing this issue on other PCs, because of the sporadic, random nature of the issue. I have gone days without a single issue, other times it just goes on and on for hours, or every few hours. The only other PC in the house is my father's work Mac, and he has never had any internet issues akin to mine during the years this has been going on.

As for my specs, network card and modem model, I fished this up.

Device name DESKTOP-CSKB522

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570k CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 16,0 GB
Device ID EDAC3C99-CC0B-47D4-B942-13D96B7F1983
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA351
System type 64-bit operatingg system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Built-in network card: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
Second Network card: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Modem Model: Sagemcom fast 3890v2

Back
Top Bottom