Im trying to set up a lan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the computer you are not using switched on?
What does it say when you type ipconfig/all into a command prompt?
May I suggest you borrow someone's monitor while you are setting this up, it may become essential to see both computers at once.
On the computer with XP pro, make sure you have set your permissions that the other computer can see it.

Well you have two very easy and cheap options, instead of buying a monitor that is. Either use a KVM switch (about $20), or use remote desktop connection.

The fact remains that if you have one monitor, you cannot see and use both computers at the same time. In order to fix a network problem, most of the time you need to be able to see and use both computers at the same time.
Even if you just borrow one until your network is sorted, you will most probably need one.

im going to get a kvm switch when i get the $$$....Ok, i got a crummy 14 crt monitor to use temorary, and yes the computer im not using is switched on, how do u start command prompt? i forget....also, wat do u mean by "permisions" on xp pro?? thanx guys

To open a command prompt, go start->run->cmd.
As for permissions, right click the files you wish to share on the network, and click the permissions tab.

ok, when i type the ipconfig in, it lists a ton of info...what do u wanna know?? also, i have the xp pro permisions set to share, and both computers are switched on, and i tried runing network setup wizard at the same time on both computer, but nothing
shows up in the "my network places" folder...is this the right folder that im supposed to be looking for this stuff in? also, i wanna set up ICS. thanx

hmmm i noticed that the ip on the xp home computer card is 192.168.0.97 the default gateway is 192.168.0.0 AND the xp pro computer ip is 192.168.0.1 and there is no defalut gateway listed...the subnet masks are the same on both...how do u change the ip??? thanx

mmmhmmm...i used cmd to ping the ip's...the pro computer which i pinged from showed no ping from home computer..but when i pinged the pro from pro it returned the ping...soooo somthin isnt right but what????

Both computers, under "workgroup computers", it displays only the computer that u are using...wtf why isnt the other computer showing? i have the network named BUSINESS GAMING on both computers, it should display, also, when u open up network connections folder, under my lan conection it displays the packets sent and recieved....there is a ton..dosnt this mean the computers are conected????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom