Im tired of wireless, can i get a 40ft cable to plug direct to router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy159

In Runtime
I like to play online games, but it seems that having a wireless connection tends to sort of lag me out every few minutes. My ping stays at a good 40ms most of the time, but then it will lag out and i will have to wait about 4 seconds to be re-synced or something, this really kills the fun.

*Gets out tape measure*
My room is directly above the dining room with the router, i dont think i can go through the floor, so from my computer to the landing, down a bit, across the ceiling of the dining room and to the router its about 38ft. Thats a rough estimate, but a 40ft cable should do it.

The next thing is will it actually work? I can just plug in the right sort of cable from my PC into the router and bingo i can access the network?

If you can find the product i need on RL Supplies Limited - computer parts and accessories, printers, mp3 players.. (my local PC shop) or another UK site that'd be great.

Thanks.

Nothing really. One says high performance the other does not. It would jsut come down to how the wires are coated. The high performance would block some signals that could interfere with the data transfer. But the cables are coated good as is.

cant he just buy some ethernet wire and do it himself? That is what I do.. doesnt cost me anything. Anyone know where to get some ethernet wire? lowes or home depot might have it, and they will have end pieces as well I think. Then you can make it as long as you want. I made a 150ft for my friend the other day.. why he needed that much.. I have NO idea.. :D

With a cable that long you will get signal degregation. 100Ft is the max length you should use on a Cat cable. Anything over that is gonna cause degragtion.

Yeah i mentioned doing it himself since that was before i foudn the 50Ft premade on the site he linked to.

With a cable that long you will get signal degregation. 100Ft is the max length you should use on a Cat cable. Anything over that is gonna cause degragtion.

Yeah i mentioned doing it himself since that was before i foudn the 50Ft premade on the site he linked to.

haha, well I didnt know that... but he still gets better with that cable than his wireless. He uses so he doesnt just drop out in poker games. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom