im stumped... internet prob

Ecthelion

Baseband Member
ok im lost on this one my grandma has been having internet issues and for the last few days ive been working at trying to fix them and im lost. i have a few more things im going to try but if it keeps happening then ill give up lol

ok she has 3 things hooked up wirelessly her desktop and 2 roku streaming things. and 1 wired her vonage

now with her desktop it will randomly not load webpages comes up as unable to connect to server and with the rokus it will load the front screen but not load any of the apps I.E. netflix

now at first you look at the router as i did i assumed it was bad so we bought a new one still happening.
then i call the cable company and have them ping the modem they say its fine. i think maybe its a bad ethernet port on it so we buy a new modem... STILL happening to the desktop i was unable to verfiy it with the rokus tonight as i had to head home.
now when this all was happening to the desktop tonight i was watching the lights on the router/modem they all never changed but when i had the wireless status window open i did notice when it would happen the received packet number stopped but it was still sending them

so tomorrow im going to take a nice long ethernet cable with me to wire her desktop up. aswell my laptop to see if i can get it to happen to my computer and a spare usb wireless adapter i have.

im realy just looking for feedback as to if im doing this all right. or did i miss a step im by now means skilled when it comes to all this stuff

Last edited:
Try updating ethernet drivers from the ethernet card manufacturer's website as well. As well as the wireless drivers.

Don't check for updates through Windows update or through the PC manufacturer's site; you'll have to do it manually from the component manufacturer's site.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

well took my laptop with me and it happened to it so i know its not a driver issuse and after a afternoon of testing i think it is fixed. (so hoping it is lol) it was either 1 of 2 problems or both as i did both fixes at the same time first her cable was 5mb down 1 mb up so she might of just been maxing out her bandwidth when say she was watching netflix on her roku so i had her put on the 50mb plan . the other thing was that her router is next to like 5 other things of course i didnt think of this at first but after some research it could be just electrical/wireless interference so i moved it about 2-3 feet away and it "seems" better after these two fixes

Last edited:
well she said its happening again at this point im thinking its the room itself because in the room my laptop had internet problems. yet her roku about 50feet further away then her computer from the router is not messing up she said. guess i should of used my ethernet cable after all to test but when i left the other day it was working fine

If it's happening to all the wireless devices it is most likely interference or an issue on the behalf of the router. Even if you bought a new one... weird things happen!

Try updating the new routers firmware.
Is the router the same brand as the last router? Do those routers have issues with Roku?
Use the routers built in wifi analyzer to check for what settings to use.
Make sure the wireless signal strength is adequate on all the devices and router. Increase the signal strengths if you need to on all the devices and router.
Try to eliminate tangles of wires and electronics near and between all devices as they cause EMI.
Slabs of concrete and metal inhibit signal strength also so be thoughtful of where you place the devices.
Perhaps move the access point closer to the devices.
If the issue isn't resolved make sure to turn down all the signal strengths to their previous levels at the end of all the testing. Make a note so you don't forget.
Check settings on the router for possible issues. Such as looking at the firewall settings or QoS settings with how internet traffic is handled through the network.

Back
Top Bottom