i'm clueless about locking a network need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogos

Daemon Poster
I have mainly messed with hardware, don't know that much about software basic windows stuff.
I have a wireless router there is one wireless pc the other 5 are wired
the issue is we have family that come and lech off our internet with their laptops and my dad isn't happy about that but,we don't want to be an *** either.
is there a good software out there that i can use to manage the router and network, like have something wen they come here we press a button that unlocks the network and wen they leave we press it and they network locks again that way they wont be able to use it wen they go home since they moved a few houses down from us, and keeps everyone that lives close by from leaching off to.

thanks in advance

Just encrypt your wireless signal by logging onto the router and clicking the security tab/option. This will stop your neighbors from getting free wireless Internet.

If your family members are not using wirless when they come over, but rather connecting to ports you'll have to use MAC address filtering to only allow your computers MAC addresses to connect to the Internet.

If you need any more specifics on how to encrypt your wirless signal or MAC address filtering let us know. But those are the steps you'll have to take to ensure you aren't giving out free Internet.

Hello,

What wireless router do you have?

Your wireless network should always be encrypted.

One solution would be to set a wireless key which you use (which only your household family members know) when you only want your household family members to be able to connect to the wireless network. Then, set a different wireless key which both your household family members and relatives know, when you want your relatives to be able to connect to your wireless network. This will require you to change the wireless key on your router accordingly, and users will need to ensure that they are using the correct wireless key at the right time.

An alternative, and perhaps an easier solution (if your router supports this which it probably does) is to enable MAC Address Filtering. This is where you specify which devices are allowed to connect to the router, using the MAC address of the network adapter on each computer. In this case, depending on whether you create a 'deny access' or 'enable access' list, enabling or disabling MAC address filtering will allow or prevent computers belonging to users other than your household family members to connect to the network.

so that means i have to install the software from the router correct? cuz none of the pcs have it i don't think, this is a new build i made a few months back and i dint install it here.
and yes i'm going to need some help for that stuff i never messed with network b4 if u can direct me to some sort of manual with all the steps ill need so i have this baby in lockdown lol

No software needed for what we suggested. All you need is your router address and the user name and password.

Type in your router IP in the Internet explorer (IE 192.168.1.1) then type the user name and password.

At that point you will see the features we are talking about. After setting up those features you'll have to go to the wireless computer and configure your wireless settings on that.

on the security is has the fallowing checked
Block Anonymous Internet Requests
Filter Multicast
Filter IDENT(Port 113)
with those up checked means only ppl with in the household can connect?
as long as they cant use it wen they leave i don't care

Filter Internet NAT Redirection this one is not checked i dont know what it is for

i have to says i don't really know what i'm doing lol
i never messed with networking b4

YOu need to to to wireless security and use the WPA or WPA2 security protocal.

You should also change the administrative password for the router - especially since it probably has no password right now.

what should i be putting on the WPA shared key?

and what should this be at? WPA Algorithms

in the algorithm put TKPS (it starts with a T but can't remember the acronym), put in the WPA key something that is relatively secure. Don't put words or names, but rather a random assortment of letters and numbers. Type this in and write it down so you remember.

I would suggest:
-Change your SSID to something that isn't easlity recognizable, like put your middle name and favorite number
-Hiding you SSID
-Creating a strong WPA security code
-Change your IP (don't use 192.168.1.1, 30.20.1.250)
-Change your router admin name and/or password to something strong
-Write the new router IP, admin/password, WPA, and algorithm on a piece of paper and keep it in a safe place, i usually place it on the router but that may not work in your case)
-If you feel the network has been comprimised change the WPA and login information
-I personally would change the WPA and login infor every few months

thanks i have built pc and dona all sort of things on them i never b4 had messed with networking is like chinese to me lol but im getting on it thanks again ill report back if any issues thanks for taking the time to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom