If you use a linksys wireless G router with ehternet cords will it be faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not our decision to decide what you do. Our opinion in this matter makes no difference. It is you that has to decide which is the best option for yourself. IT is not up to us to tell you what to do.

Another thing to keep in mind with a wired connection is your computer won't have to deal with the encryption overhead used for secure wireless connections. I wouldn't know how much of a frame rate increase that would equate to when playing online games.

I just want to know whether using an ethernet cable that is 1000 mbps make more of a difference in an 8 mbps or whatever cable connection than a 200 mbps powerline adapter setup. I know wireless sucks and the whole point of this topic was to decided what I should move to. This tech guy told me that the powerline adapter thing was just as fast if not faster than an ethernet cable. Obviously it isn't faster than an ethernet cable, but will it achieve the same internet speed? I know the lan will be faster with the ethernet, but I am concerned with internet.

It doesnt seem like anyone understands what you are trying to say, which is odd because there are alot of educated people responding to your question. I dont know the answer, but ill explain it so others can help.

He is asking if an Ethernet over Power Line is comparable to using a straight ethernet line.

By, Ethernet over Power, he means (note he is talking about 200mbps ones):
NP285 Turbo HomePlug Twin Pack: : NetComm Australia

Come on people, read the question. The whole of it, especially the last line no matter how badly the question may have been formatted:

I'm wondering this because, I have been considering doing powerline adapter thing witch is 200 mbps instead of hiring someone to wire the 1000 mbps ethernet cords.

Okay..... so my question is:

Is the speed for an internal network, or is it to connect to the outside world?

As if your not making an internal network, which you need to be lightening quick..... get it wired...

But if your just getting on to the internet with them, you'll never go faster than what your service is, 5megs etc.. So having 1000mbsto your router means nothing.

I think a better network setup desription would help.

Ok, I am concerned with internet, external connections, not internal LAN.

This is how it works:

1. plug powerline adapter A into socket near router
2. plug powerline adapter B into socket near pc
3. connect powerline adapter A to router via ethernet cord
4. connect powerline adapter B to pc via ethernet cord
5. done without the use of any wireless whatsoever

Powerline adapter speeds: 85 mbps and 200 mbps. I will use the 200 mbps version

Will online gaming be any faster if I use a cat 5e cable to connect my router in my basement to my pc on the second floor rather than using this powerline adapter method? I am aware cat 5e is 1000 mbps and I would need a gigabit N router. I guess I would need a new router either way since mine is 100 mbps even if wired. I am also aware the cat 5e will be faster for lan, but if I am only concerned with online, will it make a difference which route I choose? I understand it won't make a difference for mmos, but it will in rts and especially fps. I'm assuming the ping will be better than wireless with both options, but is the ethernet any better than the powerline adapters? If it is a little better for internet, how much? If it is only a slight unnoticeable difference, I going to go with the powerline adapters. Well, I'm going to have to check with my parents. I guess getting someone to run the cable would be slightly cheaper than buying two sets of those adapters to accommodate everything, but they are scared of the hassle I guess. idk

Okay..... For your needs..... Even a wifi setup will be fine, and swtching to the powerline or cat cable won't show muh if any slow/speedup.
Your at the mercy of the isp's speed.

Your best option is your cheapest and easiest to install.

I'd say (though i've never used it) the power line one. I game on my lappy with wireless G setup all the time without any notice.

Powerlines should be fine for that, you won't see much if any difference from running a cat5 cable direct from PC to router. It's definately true that powerline > wireless anyday as Mak said you'll be lucky to get 54mbs.

If you do get powerline adapters make sure you get ones which will sufficce for the speeds you want. I.e if you want a 200mbs connection don't get 84mbs adapters :p

Well, probably going to go with powerline adapters, but the cat 5e is still out there. I can just buy two identical sets to and just use one to connect to the router and the three to pcs and game systems right? I mean, they are exactly the same right, one piece isn't designated for the router and one for the pc/gamesystem, correct?

And, to patonb, why do you say upgrading from wireless won't help? I thought the latency causes high ping?

One last thing, say, in the future, when fiber optic is affordable, will it need more than 200 mbps? I mean, cable is only at 6-8 atm.

i get the same ping playing online games (mainly nwn2) with my lappy and my desktop.

No help on fps though. Can't play them. Sorry.

On the fiber.. When it's affordable, better setups will be around. Build for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom