IE6 or LAN problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenessaa

Beta member
I'm thinking this is more of a LAN problem.

We have had several instances of XP computers running IE6 retaining information from previous users logging on to websites. I don't guess I should say retaining since it travels.

Example:
Andrea logs in to United Streaming website and is having problems. I log in to the computer next to her to see if it is just her account. Website says welcome Tenessa (me) but when I access some of the features on the website Andrea's folders are available to me even though they shouldn't be. I tried logging in at home and her folders were gone. I returned to the original location and there are her folders again.

This has also happened with Ticketmaster that I know of, and who knows what other sites.

I cannot upgrade the browser since I work for a school and I am restricted by state protocol. Anyone heard of this? I'm thinking its some kind of problem with the LAN since I couldn't access the folders from another building.

It almost sounds like everybody is using the browser from a single location as if it was on a server not the local PC. Odd way of setting things up if that's the case. Have you tried dumping the cookies and temp files?

Maybe the server is not local, but everyone shares the same folder on the server. Like dave said, usually everyone has their own profile which gives them their own piece of the server for cookies, documents, etc - but it sounds as if everyone may have their own login but they all share the same server space.

Can one employee see the files of another on the server?

Each employee is set up with their own profile and computer. We do not have individual files or folders set up on the servers. Each user has their own pc and they don't travel so there is no need for this. We do not have anything shared on the server unless they save it there on purpose. I don't really see how clearing the cookies will help since they are local to each machine. I've tried this on multiple computers in the building and only 2 have not done this.

I thought that maybe they were all on the same switch but that is not the case, they are spread out over all 5 of our switches.

Cleaning the cookies will clear the saved data. The data is stored in cookies for the sites.

I am thinking that some how the informatin is being saved on the network. It has to be. As you said in your example:

log in to the computer next to her to see if it is just her account. Website says welcome Tenessa (me) but when I access some of the features on the website Andrea's folders are available to me even though they shouldn't be.

If you are accessing her folders that means that the information has to be saved on the network. If not then you should not even be able to see her folder from the PC next to it unless you logged into her PC from the one next to it.

If you were jsut able to access the folder on that PC that means that the people are using several PC's and not jsut the one they are assigned and saving this information on which ever PC they are working on.

I would ask if they are using other PC's other than the one they are assigned. If they do tell them to make sure that IE doesnt save any information that they type in as it will be able to be accessed by other users. The only real way to prevent it. Roaming profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom