An idea about my WIFI routers...

Zekester2097

In Runtime
I have this NETGEAR router (model R6100), which my family uses to connect to WIFI, the thing is, we have Charter Communications as our provider, so we had to pick a WIFI security type that supports more than 54MBPS (Mega Bits (8 bits = 1 Byte) Per Second) (Charter has fast internet, over 65MBPS), so we picked WPA2.

The thing is, I want to connect my PSP 1000 to our WIFI network, the PSP only has a 802.11b WIFI chip on it.. I have this old Linksys router that supports only 54MBPS, so I used WPA (TKIP or AES, I forgot which I selected), so my PSP would be compatible with using it (anything that the PSP doesn't support is marked as "Not supported" in the WIFI list)

I wanted to plug it into the NETGEAR to use it from the router, but I couldn't get it to connect (and YES, it was plugged into the jack labeled "Internet", on the Linksys).

My question is, can I use my PC to take my WIFI signal, from the NETGEAR, and send it via Ethernet, to the Linksys? If It's possible, how do I do it???
I also want to be able to use the WIFI on my PC while its connected to the Linksys...

PS. I included all of this extra info, so you could understand the situation better...

PPS. the NETGEAR also supports "Guest Networks" which has a separate network added for "guests" , and can have a separate password, than the original network... I don't want it enabled, because I would either have to put the security on whatever the original network is set to ( in this case, WPA2), or OFF (no password at all)

Last edited:
1. If you want to do the 2 router route, you need to go from one of the LAN ports on the Netgear and into one of the LAN ports on the Linksys (not the port labelled "Internet" or "WAN"). Then you need to set the Linksys to bridged/AP mode, turn off DHCP, and you can set whatever security on it that you want. It should work after you set it up as such.

2. If you still want to go the other route of using the wireless in your computer as a "router" or AP, then look into software called Connectify. I used to use it back in college before the dorms had wifi and it worked pretty decently. Not sure if it's free anymore or not, as it was in Beta when I was using it.

1. If you want to do the 2 router route, you need to go from one of the LAN ports on the Netgear and into one of the LAN ports on the Linksys (not the port labelled "Internet" or "WAN"). Then you need to set the Linksys to bridged/AP mode, turn off DHCP, and you can set whatever security on it that you want. It should work after you set it up as such.

This would be the cleanest solution and the one I'd personally recommend!

Back
Top Bottom