ICS xp/2k problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zustiur

Beta member
Firstly, I apologise for this thread being so similar to the others out there, but I have read through many of those and not managed to solve my problem.

My situation: I have two computers and an ADSL connection.
Computer 1: has two integrated lan ports on the motherboard (Epox 8rda3+), adapter 1 is connected to the DSL modem - interent works fine.
Adapter 2 is connected to another computer - file sharing etc works fine.
Computer 1 is running XP Home (SP 1), Zone alarm v 4.5.530.000
Computer 2 is running Win2k Pro (SP 3), Zone Alarm v 3.7

I'm have tried repeatedly to set up internet connection sharing, but have not got it to work. I have tried many combinations of IP settings to get this to work but have been unsuccesful.
None of the guides I have seen refer to setting up this combination of OS's.

I originally tried to set up ICS via XP's network wizard - but the disk it creates for setting up clients does not configure 2kpro. So I tried to set up 2k pro manually. No luck.
I tried changing the bridged ip address to .2 instead of 192.168.0.1, as .1 is the number used by the modem. Still no luck.

Furthermore, I cannot access the modem via //192.168.0.1/ now. The first time that happened, I tried switching off ICS and could then access the modem. That does not seem to be the problem this time.
I tried removing the network bridge, and setting up everything manually, but still no joy.

Yes I have remembered to set the default gateway on computer 2 to match the network adapter #2 on computer 1.

Has anyone got 2k to access the internet via an ICS XP Home box? I'm pretty sure it's just me forgetting something simple, but this has become very frustrating.

I have tried switching off zone alarm on the client computer but that seems to make no difference at all. Would zone alarm on the host be blocking the path?

Zustiur.

See if you can update your Win2k Box to SP4.

I believe SP4 has some fixes for WinXP compatibility and ICS.

After you update your computer run the XP Network Connection Wizard and it should configure your Win2k box.

Let us know how it goes.

I'll try that tonight.

thanks...

I'll reply again when I've seen what happens.

Zustiur.

Ok, service pack is installed...

went through all of the connection settings again. Still no joy.

I've noticed that Ipconfig on the 2k machine states

Connection-specific DNS Suffix : mshome.net

Where as the XP machine has the field blank.

Zustiur.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Should the 2k box be using a DNS Suffix?

And could the problem be related to the second NIC using the same IP as the IP I use to connect to the modem?
That is: to change modem settings I have to use //192.168.0.1/
And when ICS is set up by XP Home, the second NIC recieves the same IP address.

Zustiur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom