ICS WinXP pro and 98SE not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

KL38

Beta member
I currently purchased a new PC from Dell with WinXP Pro (work from home using VPN). I formatted my old PC and reinstalled 98SE. This PC is in my son's room. I have cable internet provided through Earthlink set up on my XP machine. I just purchased a Linksys 4 port router. I am trying to network the 2 PCs and share internet access (ICS).

I can see the other computer when I look in Network Places. But neither PC can connect to the internet. The data light blinks on the modem and the internet light is lit on the router. I have went through all the wizards as far as setting everything up. I keep looking at all the instructions on the internet and every one makes it sound so easy. What am I missing? Any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.

you do not need to implement ics when using a router. set each machine to have tcpip pull an ip address from the router. The only other obstacle i can think of would be IE trying to run through a proxy; turn that off if necessary.

I tried doing everything that I keep reading everywhere. It is really pissing me off! I cannot get the internet to work. WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Guess I will have to pay someone to come over here and fix it if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom