ICS w/ Novatel wireless modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

munro_d44

Beta member
Hello, folks. Noob to this site & networking as well. Hoping that someone may be able to help w/ this question.

I have a Novatel wireless Merlin CDMA EV-DO modem in my laptop providing broadband internet access. I would like to enable ICS on the laptop & share the connection w/ the other pc's on my network. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router setup in the house & it's working fine. I've tried a few different ways to enable ICS, but have not been able to successfully share the connection on the network. I was able to share it once by hooking to one of the other pc's via crossover Cat5 cable, but now can't seem to duplicate that either. Is anyone familiar w/ this particular wireless broadband modem and if so, is there something special I need to do to enable ICS? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes there is a option on the router homepage

type 192.168.1.1 and then enter admin
and then same for password n it will let ya into your Router and in there u need to set ur ISP up etc and then switch ur other pcs on and it should reconize it ..it took my dad 6 hours to get the wireless working

Good to see you around here Munro so far you and AP. are surfing this forum. ^^

The ICS can be done at the router level, eliminating the need to have a computer on at all times to share the internet. The windows ICS is only needed when there is no router to share an internet connection.

Just a little clarification for you. Amd2800 was right in suggesting the router configuration but there are a few things you should keep in mind when doing the configuration.

First of all, in order to access your router you type in the IP address of 192.168.1.1 You will be prompted for a user name/PW - Default setup = User Name is BLANK (No User name) and Password is password.

Second, what type of broadband is being used DSL or Cable?
(The router config. is slightly different for each one)

Let us know and we can finish up.

HoLoCroN...nice to see a familiar name here.:D

I live way out in the sticks, so my broadband choices are limited. What I have is Novatel wireless Merlin CDMA EV-DO modem in the form of a pcmcia card. That's the only option I have from Verizon...no pci card. But I have to say it works pretty damn well compared to the dialup I had (bandwidth speed is about 20 times faster). So the problem is that it's stuck in the laptop...no way to phyically connect it to the broadband input of the Linksys router. So the only way I can share the connection w/ my other pc's on the network is to use ICS.

OK...tried to setup using static IP addressing. The Linksys router complains when I try to set the subnet mask to that of the wireless modems. It says 'illegal subnet mask'. Ran ipconfig on the laptop & get something like this...

Wireless adapter:

IP address : 192.168.1.103
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

PPP adapter NationalAccess - BroadbandAccess:

IP address: 70.196.181.0
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.255
Default gateway: 70.196.181.0

So what would I enter in the router configuration to get this to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom