icmp port unreachable error message

gajjj

Beta member
Hello,

I am sending UDP packets from one PC to another. I am watching the the whole activity using Wire Shark. I notice that for some time there is smooth transmission of packets from one system to the other. Then suddenly ICMP packets with error 'port unreachable' starts to appear. Then they disappear for some time and there is again smooth transmission of UDP packets. Then these ICMP packets again appear with the same 'port unreachable' error. Then these ICMP packets disappear again and so on. And this continues in a periodic manner.

Can anybody shed some light that what could be the reason for it.

This is indicative of an overload condition or process priority configuration problem in the reporting host. The process in question was swapped out of memory and was not able to swap back in quickly enough to avoid the unreachable indication.

Thank you very much for the reply. Hmm interesting.. Just to be clear my set up is as follows. On first pc I have an application which is sending udp packets to the second pc. On second pc I open wireshark and observe what I explained in the last post.

What can I do to avoid this? As this is the first time I have experienced any thing like it. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom