I was wondering if different Network cards can affect ping times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comptech

Baseband Member
I was wondering if different Network cards can affect ping times?

Im currently using some on-board SIS network card, and would like improve ping times for my Unreal Tournament 2004 gaming if possible.

Does it make a difference if I use "on-board" or "add-in" card?

do you guys have a recommended brand of Network card to go with? to get best ping times?

What about the type of cable modem? Im currently using some old toshiba PCX1100U, And I think this crappy modem is causing me to lose internet connection for minutes often, and its really bothering me. Any recommended brand/model for replacement?

What about the type of network cable you use? I have already tried the belkin gold series cable and it dont make a difference from what Im using right now.

Is there any other things I can do that I forgot to mention that can help improve my ping times?

Waiting for replys, thank you.

an "addin" NIC can change the ping times it might just be a couple of milli secs. It can take some pressure of the motherboard.
Im using a realtek NIC and i dont have any problems with it where as my SIS onboard SIS gets a generic MAC address with needed the updated drivers to fix it.
Cable modems are all much the same ive used a Motarola SB 5100 and i didnt have problem with that but talk to your ISP for more info as i may not be a supported brand ( they like to only use their modems).
The only other thing is with gigabit (1000 Mbps) coming soon with will run faster but so far not to may modems or routers are able to run at that seed.

I have a question? does a intel network card work on my AMD based motherboard or is it only for intel boards? which brand is better? 3com, US robotic or intel? I may buy one.

Intel network cards work on any PC, if you want the best you have an AMD based server with intel NIC's :)

I also trust Intel and 3com for NIC's

Is US robotics and 3com the same company? so which is better 3com or Intel or they both good? Should I really go out and buy one, or I probably cant feel the difference anyways?

I don't think you will notice too much of a difference, but both 3COM and Intel are great. Lately I just bought a bunch of Intel cards to upgrade my network to gigabit. No trouble out of any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom