I neeed help, ( Im going Wireless )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcore07

Baseband Member
okay so first of all let me just say im a bit clueless when it comes to routers.

so anyway i've made up my mind that i want to go wireless because i hate transferring my ethernet cable from my modem to my xbox and i just got an Iphone 3g and i'd like to conntect it to wifi.

okay so lets get started

I have a Dell Demension 4600
i dont think i have a wifi card that is compatible with my machine so im in need of a good one

as far as routers go i have my eyes set on a
linksys WRT54G

if anyone knows of a cheaper better one please let me know. but i need a Wificard and a router and i need suggestions.

i just need the signal to be good enough for about two rooms.

any help would be appreciated

Budget - under 100 dollars

Will the router be in the same room as your desktop? If I had the option I would hard wire my desktop so no need for a wifi card. Then I would use wireless for my iPhone. If I could I would run a second wire to my xbox so I could stream faster and would not have to rely on wireless. If this is not an option then run it on wireless. Wireless is good but can drop from time to time. In all of these scenarios you would still need a wireless router. The linksys should do you just fine.

Will the router be in the same room as your desktop? If I had the option I would hard wire my desktop so no need for a wifi card. Then I would use wireless for my iPhone. If I could I would run a second wire to my xbox so I could stream faster and would not have to rely on wireless. If this is not an option then run it on wireless. Wireless is good but can drop from time to time. In all of these scenarios you would still need a wireless router. The linksys should do you just fine.

okay. since im a bit new to this whole thing i need some explanations.

okay so yea the router will be next to my desktop.

and i dont have a wifi card.

what do u mean hardwire my desktop so i dont need a wifi card?

If the router will be next to your desktop then you wont need a WiFi card. You can still hard wire the PC to the router and have connection.

Hardwire the Desktop so you dont need a WiFi card is basically what it sounds like. You will run the ethernet cable from the router to the PC like it is now. Which will eliminate the need for a WiFi card so that you can connect the desktop to the WiFi router to get on the internet.

Will the router be in the same room as the XBOX 360?

Once you get a router you can run a cat 5 cable directly to your laptop for internet and network access. This means no wifi card for your dell. The iPhone works great with wireless routers for accessing the internet. For your xbox I am not sure if they come with wireless built in or not. Here is a good article for setting up your wireless with the needed security. Keeping in mind your desktop will be wired.

So really all you need is the router unless the xbox needs something extra which I am not aware of. You should be able to get help with the xbox by searching our xbox fourms.

sweet, thank you all.

and the xbox will be in the same room. i'll make sure to check out that article

Once you get a router you can run a cat 5 cable directly to your laptop for internet and network access. This means no wifi card for your dell. The iPhone works great with wireless routers for accessing the internet. For your xbox I am not sure if they come with wireless built in or not. Here is a good article for setting up your wireless with the needed security. Keeping in mind your desktop will be wired.

So really all you need is the router unless the xbox needs something extra which I am not aware of. You should be able to get help with the xbox by searching our xbox fourms.
The XBox doesn't come with wireless built in, you have to buy a $100 wireless adapter.

Thanks for the link to setting up wireless, i'm gonna be getting a router soon too and am ignorant about it all.

sweet, thank you all.

and the xbox will be in the same room. i'll make sure to check out that article
If the XBox is gonna be in the same room then I suggest running it wired, it'll save you $100.

OKay, so i have another question.

whats the difference between a WRT54G and a WRT54G v 8

they're the same price and i just placed my order for WRT54G... so whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom