I need security Tips for wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I'm getting tired of everytime, that I move the furniture in my living room, I have to spend the whole day moving all of my wires around the house on my wired network because the living room is the central point. So I got a wireless router, as I'm going wireless, which I know nothing about.

I'm connect to the net already through it

Can I get some tips for setting up security since my router had no paperwork. I know that my friend's laptop can access any and everybody wireless access to connect him to the net. it gives him the people's info and everything

I don't want him to accessing my network

Hello EricB, nice to meet you. First let me say Welcome to the forums.

I recently set one up using WPA-PSK. I chose this method over WEP simply because of the increasing number of infants out there trying to "CRACK" WEPs. You basically set this up the same way on the router as a WEP. You have setup WEP before or no? I always also enter a custom SSID as apposed LINSYS or whatever it assigns by default. I usually also do a custom channel. Then basically once you apply a key and the strenght of encryp you apply this to all your machines. You can also do Mac filtering to further secure your network.

If someone gets passed all that then they are out to get you really badly. Most people will try simple tools that look for open signals (most likely what your friend does) and exploit from there. Some will even try and crack the WEP's but even that has proven to be a task for an advanced user and not some script kiddie :)

This is just a run down, but once you access the routers config you will see all the areas I am mentioning and with your skills I think you will be able to figure it out ok. If you need help feel free to PM me or post here as I'm sure other ppl have awesome tips as well.

I'm Playing with the settings now.

which one should I enable on super g mode?

turbo.jpg

I sent you a PM about the security part. As for the Super G this all depends...First we need to know what your wireless cards are running and what they are capable of. If they are capable of superG (108Mbps) then I would personally enable Super G with Dynamic Turbo. If they only support 54Mbps I would leave it disabled.

Also remember :
Turbo Mode

The multi-channel 108Mbps Turbo Mode capability operates by using the spectrum offered by two radio channels to overcome the RF physics limitations of ShannonÂ’s Limit, which dictates the number of bits that may be transmitted per MHz of spectrum. The data rate doubling is the most obvious effect of using multiple radio channels. By providing an optional capability that uses multiple radio channels simultaneously, Super G Turbo mode can double the data rates offered by any single radio channel techniques. The multi-channel mode give multi-channel devices high bandwidth on demand, but also to check for and fall back to single-channel operation if necessary because of the presence of legacy devices.

When Turbo mode is set to enabled, Channel 6 is used and cannot be changed to any other channels.

Note: Ad hoc is not currently supported in multi-channel mode.

Dynamic Turbo

Backwards compatible with non-Turbo (legacy) devices
Turbo mode only enabled when all nodes on the wireless network is Super G with Turbo enabled
Occasionally drops down from Turbo mode to 11g mode to allow association of legacy devices.
Any wireless device on network not Turbo capable causes entire network not to be Turbo capable.

Static Turbo

Not backwards compatible with non-Turbo (legacy) devices
Turbo mode is always on
Only Turbo mode devices can talk to each other, meaning all devices must be set to Turbo

128bit wep incription should be good enough protection unless you are unlucky enough to have a good enough hacker to break that 26 digit password :p

Win2kpatcher said:
I sent you a PM about the security part. As for the Super G this all depends...First we need to know what your wireless cards are running and what they are capable of. If they are capable of superG (108Mbps) then I would personally enable Super G with Dynamic Turbo. If they only support 54Mbps I would leave it disabled.

Also remember :
Turbo Mode

The multi-channel 108Mbps Turbo Mode capability operates by using the spectrum offered by two radio channels to overcome the RF physics limitations of ShannonÂ’s Limit, which dictates the number of bits that may be transmitted per MHz of spectrum. The data rate doubling is the most obvious effect of using multiple radio channels. By providing an optional capability that uses multiple radio channels simultaneously, Super G Turbo mode can double the data rates offered by any single radio channel techniques. The multi-channel mode give multi-channel devices high bandwidth on demand, but also to check for and fall back to single-channel operation if necessary because of the presence of legacy devices.

When Turbo mode is set to enabled, Channel 6 is used and cannot be changed to any other channels.

Note: Ad hoc is not currently supported in multi-channel mode.

Dynamic Turbo

Backwards compatible with non-Turbo (legacy) devices
Turbo mode only enabled when all nodes on the wireless network is Super G with Turbo enabled
Occasionally drops down from Turbo mode to 11g mode to allow association of legacy devices.
Any wireless device on network not Turbo capable causes entire network not to be Turbo capable.

Static Turbo

Not backwards compatible with non-Turbo (legacy) devices
Turbo mode is always on
Only Turbo mode devices can talk to each other, meaning all devices must be set to Turbo

My wire pci slot now is 54mbps. but I went to another store where the 108mbps one cost 5 more buck. do I need to take that 54mb one out and sell it, to use superg one or can it coexist with an 108mb one

Avalanch3 said:
128bit wep incription should be good enough protection unless you are unlucky enough to have a good enough hacker to break that 26 digit password :p
WEP is too easy to crack if you want in. Expisally on busy wifi networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom