i need help with port forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomer

Baseband Member
hello I need some help port forwarding my black hawk down game.I have a visionNet 201er router and I cannot figure out hot to port forward this thing,I dont know if the dmz is right or not .I have set it to enabled ,but I dont know if I have set the internal ip address up right or not,and I am also not sure if this is the only thing I do or not.Can anyone help me please,this thing is driving me crazy?????

i would advise you try DMZ as your first option, it doesnt exactly seem like u r to comfortable with getting to much deeper

however if you do, you will need to know what specific ports you need to forward to your computer.

Not really hard, but if you dont know what u r doing , it can be frustrating.

Well first you do not want to use DMZ. If you put your computer in DMZ then you just opened it up to all outside attacks and removed the protection of the router firewall. Port forwarding can also be referred to as a virtual server. Check your manual to see if it refers to this option. Once you find virtual server or port forwarding then use the DOS promt and type netstat -a and check all of the port numbers that are listed. Then go and start Black Hawk Down and leave it running, go back to the DOS promt and type netstat -a again and look for the port that was not present before and that is the port that Black Hawk uses. If you are still confussed don't hesitate to post back and I'll try to help you more or someone else will help.

somebody ban rookie1010 please. thank you.

now, turn off DMZ. that is dangerous. you can check Black Hawk Down forums and ask people for the ports that need to be forwarded or check any Black Hawk Down website. Google is your tool.

also, i can get you instructions on setting up port forwarding if you tell me what router you're using, and what firewall.

perhaps subdivizion should be banned.
why dont you just sub-divide and grow into mold or something.

DMZ would be an acceptable alternative on an as needed basis as long as he ran a proper software firewall such as sygate.

Routers dont provide the protection some people think they do, and whether he has a router with ports forwarded or not, he should already be running adequate firewall protection.

However to many times in walking people through port forwarding for p2p programs and Civ3 PTW, if you cant hold their hands through the procedure, it will only be a headache, hence the suggestion to consider DMZ.

i definately do not suggest DMZ either. you can't really say the router is a firewall, but that said...all i use is NAT and NAV2003. the only times i had an intrusion or infection was my fault. you need to learn to open a port, it is not that difficult to learn. sometimes you have a special option to open a port only for application specific purposes. if you have this option use it

rookie1010 i think the reason why subdivizion said that is because you are thread jacking this topic by going off-topic. we don't mind answering basic questions, but you should not intterupt a thread to ask this. please post your own topics instead of doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom