I need help hooking 2 comps together

Status
Not open for further replies.

HinD

Beta member
Hi forum! i got a problem, back in school i got a 1 week course on networks (back in 99) and this seemed fairly easy so i didnt think i would have any problems. of course, all i got on a 1 week course was theory on pretty much outdated stuff.

Anyway, im trying to connect 2 computers together:

1 laptop thinkpad p4 1.4ghz winXP
with a built in card (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network connection),

and 1 PC Celeron 400mhz Win2k
with a Kingston KNE40T ethernet card.

The PC is hooked to ADSL with a 2wire Home Portal Router .

Now The reason i want to connect them both is to transfer files from the PC to Laptop But for learning purposes i want to share the internet connection. And for budget purposes id rather not buy a printer cable.

First i tried connecting the laptop to the pc by the ethernet cards using a CAT5 utp cable, but i never got the 2 computers to detect eachother.

Then i tried connecting the router to the laptop tru the ethernet card, no problems there but since im trying to connect both computers tru the ethernet cards, i need them both free.

Then i tried connecting the router to the laptop tru the USB port But windows did not find a driver for the router and... oh surprize! this laptop doesnt have a cd drive, so i cant use the cd that came with the router to install the usb interface.

So the only choices i have left are:

get the router connected with the usb interface to the PC,then connect the laptop to the pc with the ethernet cards. But im not sure how to configure them afterwards.

Get a Printer cable and connect them both with it, iguess this would be easier, but i dont wanna spend cash for it (yeh yeh, i know its just 3 bucks) and time is a big factor here.

I did a search and all the sites i saw said that i need a crossover cable, But i thought that a CAT5 cable was that?

Any suggestion is apreciated, iguess i WILL have to buy neither a crossover cable or a printer cable (both ends male, i know) but i dont know which is the best choice. and also cause i wanna learn i want to try as many possibilities.

Conect the laptop and the desktop computer together with the Cat 5 cable.

Then on the laptop click "Start". Click "run". type: \\(insert desktop computer name here). Press enter. It should show you all shared files on the desktop computer.

Ah, i wish it was that simple, on both computers i get the message "the network path could not be found" The pc can connect to itself and see what files are sharing, but i cant get the laptop to do the same...i guess ill buy a serial cable

in order to connect 2 computers take cros over cable attach it.Now check on both comp computer name has to be different & workgroup has to be same.
IP Configuration computer 1
IP ADDRESS : 192.168.0.1
SUBNET MASK:255.255.255.0

COMPUTER2
IP ADDRESS : 192.168.0.2
SUBNET MASK : 255.255.255.0

go to RUN Now ping 192.168.0.1 -t
are u getting reply now if yes your network is up

Now connect you printer to comp1 and download drivers
enable file and printer sharing fron network neighbourhood

Now go to PRINTER and enable sharing
you now able to use prnter from both computers

Note :Inorder to check if TCP/IP insatlled correctly on both computer run ping 127.0.0.1 -t
If you get reply its ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom