I need to connect another computer to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbcudenver

Solid State Member
I need to connect another computer to the internet using another ethernet cable.
My router is a Actiontec GT 701-WG
here is a page on it
Google Image Result for http://support.spiretech.com/images/gt701_rear.gif

The back of the router only has one ethernet cable to connect one computer but I need to connect two without using wireless

What would be the best way to connect another computer using a ethernet cable. I could buy a new router with more ethernet ports but this seems to an expense , is there a cheaper way.

Thanks Brett.

Dude you can buy a wired router for less than £20, you could even find on cheaper at a computer fair.

OK I retract my earlier post because I was stupid and didn't click the link. What you have is a DSL modem, not a router. You will have to get a router to do what you want unless you want to set up internet connection sharing on the first PC or buy a second IP from your ISP. Chris Chadwick wins.

Lol I always do superdave1984 ;)

or you could try a USB network (disussed in a thread in OT less than 24 hours ago)

I use the same modem or "gateway" ... through Qwest, eh! I haven't had the need, thankfully, but I always figured I'd just have to buy a decent router. I see some nice deals online, like a friend got a D-Link router with wireless b/g and a free laptop card for $15 after rebates, and that was over a year ago. (I think it was even through Newegg.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom