I moved and still have internet. What's going on?

zantaff

Solid State Member
I moved (location) recently and kept my cable modem, but I had NOT yet canceled my internet service. I plugged in my modem into my new house and, viola! I got internet. Why is this happening? Did the previous tenants not cancel their service? Is my service based on the modem I use, and not my location? Is it something else? Thanks.

Who's your ISP?

I'm guessing it's still recognizing your modem's MAC address that's still allowed on their system. If you're planning on sticking with the same ISP, I'm assuming you'll just have to call and tell them you changed address and ask if they need to do anything more since your internet is still working correctly.

Cable service has gone digital and uses an auth system slightly similar to that of ATT. The only difference is using a 2 step auth. If your coax is still connected to the box outside because the supplier is lazy (Charter, TWC for instance) then you still have digital cable service in your house. The only step you need is an account with them that is active, and a modem's MAC address linked to that account. When you hook your modem up, it's still active on their system.

Make sure to call them and inform them you moved so your bill is sent to the proper address.

Back
Top Bottom