i`m very confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisko

Solid State Member
please some one help. i received my new computer today, and i am struggling to sort out my wireless netwrok.

i`m not even a complete newbie to this stuff as my laptop is wireless and i set that up fine.

i don't even know where to start, so if i miss anything please ask and i will try my best to fill in any gaps.

firstly, i get a window saying do i want to use "RT2500 configuration utility" or "windows xp configuration".

if i use the windows xp zero config, the signal strength is very good, but it will not connect to the wireless network. if i use the rt2500 config, the wireless network connects but the signal strength is useless and constantly connects and disconnects. either way i can't use the net obviously. how is this even possible?

there is three other machines using the network, so there is nothing wrong with the router or anythinhg like that.

i have entered all the relevent info in the required fields, ie gateway, dns, ip, etc etc. i really don't have the foggiest whats wrong with the **** thing.

i`m guessing none of this makes any sense to the readers on this forum as i haven't worded it too well. so if you are prepared to give me any advice, please ask me anything and i will try to answer to the best of my ability, and hopefully make sense at the same time :(

I use the windows config utility for mine, but you said you put in all your dns etc doesnt your ISP do that? mine connects to a modem then to the wireless router and my ISP gives that info to my router.

Are you using a password WEP or WPA ?

What speed connection do you have?

In your router settings are you allowing enough IP addresses?

What firewall are you using?

It SOUNDS like you are giving your computer a static IP address.... are you SURE that the laptop and router are on the same subnet?? Give us the IP address and subnet mask for BOTH the computer AND the router.. (NOTE: we don't need your ISP assigned IP, just the one on the INSIDE of your network... default is usually 192.168.1.X.

Also, is the router & laptop 802.11 a,b, or g??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom