I have a networking question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
Ok here is the situation. I have a computer upstairs with a router that runs a cable to the basement to another computer. I'm wondering if there is a way to hook up a third computer in the basement from the second computer. I run a DFI mobo that has two ethernet ports. Is there a way to run that third comp from my DFI comp? I just don't want to run another 25' of cord to the basement if I don't have to.

you can but that 2nd computer would always hafta be on, you could add a switch or hub.

Ok, that's good. I always leave my computer on. So if I understand you right, as long as the second basement computer is on, the third basement comp will run fine?

ive never actually done it but since you already have a gateway i think the computer with the 2 cards hafta be on different subnets. (hopefully someone will correct me if im wrong) You may even have to turn off dhcp in your router and configure everything staticly.I'd personally go for the switch, they are pretty inexpensive and it would probably save you alot of headaches.

But doesnt the bridged comp become the gateway?and if it does where does that leave the router?

you have comp a & b with a router connected to a. hmmm, cut out the router, there's no need for it unless there's other devices we don't know about. Run a cable from the modem directly into comp a, which has two nics. connect a crossover to b. implement ics, link above.

Ok here is the layout, comp A is the main comp upstairs, it is rather old and only has one ethernet connection. The router is also upstairs. Comp B is the bad *** comp with all the bells and whistles; it has two ethernet ports and it is my main comp, but it is downstairs connected to the upstairs router. What I want to do is add a comp C without running another 25' of cable to the comp A's router, I would simply like to jump from comp B to C, if it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom