I have an ethernet cable and 10GBs of music to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, i swear i entered in this:

I want to transfer music from my brothers laptop (called BENSLAPTOP) to my comp (called JAMESPC).

Cable plugged in, toolbar shows a (limited) local area connection on both.
Ive been through the wizard on both, file transfer is on, work group is MSHOME for both.
Ive checked sharing on the my music file on my brother laptop, so the hand symbol appears. But how do i send it?

On my comp i tried \\BENSLAPTOP in Windows Explorer, as i thought you had to but the PC couldnt find the laptop.

Can anybody help?
Thanks.

Not your fault, the system just hiccuped. How are you plugging them in? Through a router? If PC-to-PC, you need a crossover cable.

I just did it from the laptops plug hole to the PC plug hole.

Both machines connect to the internet wirelessly to a router though.

I guess so. I dont know how it is suppose to work.

If this fails i'll use my 4GB pen drive but that will take a painful amount of time. I thought this would be faster. But i cant even set up the thing heh.

You will need a cross over cable. It is yellow. It is not like the normal blue or black ones they sell.

Ahh, guess ive been using the wrong thing then. Silly me. Rather than purchase one of these cables ill just use my 4GB pen drive i think.

Yeah that would be your best bet. A ethernet cable and a cross over cable are not the same thing. They look exactly the same but the wires on the inside are crossed. Hence the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom