i got some network questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeswm8

Solid State Member
I am looking to set up a home network off a base PC in the future. i have a couple questions:

possible setup:
Base PC with 2x500 GB HDD in RAID 1
PC1 40GB HDD for OS
PC2 40GB HDD for OS

1)Can all computers access the same files at the same time?
2) can i have apps and games that PC1 and PC2 can access at the same time. Like all play a game stored on the 500GB at the same time?
3)Can PC1 and PC2 access the files on the Base when the Base is off?
4)Can you operate on a 40GB for just the OS on PC1 and PC2 while mooching off the 500 for apps and storage?

thanks, i know a lot about single computers and i want to learn networking. a home network sounds very appealing.

1. Maybe not at the same time, but so long as the folder containing the files is set to share over a network and if need be, modify over a network then any computer on the network can access them.
2. Far as I know you can't Run a game off another computer. So no unless someone else has a awesome idea. No.
3.No
4. Again, its possible, but I doubt it.

1) you can access all the files at the same time
2)apps have to be designed for a network install, so only network apps will be able to be run over the network. as for games, no they need to be installed on the client as do most programs.
3)deff no
4)yes for storage, but again you would need network apps. most apps arent network apps. only specific office apps can be run over a network from a server. so if you install MS Office on your base machine you wouldnt just be able to click a short cut and have it run. it needs files in the directory on the client.

If you want to run your apps off of one computer, if might be better to build one powerful server and use remote desktop from your clients to use your software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom