I was getting 276Mb/s on my broad band now i dont get it anynore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, the fact is, he wasn't getting those speeds, a "speedtest" is easy to fake, I remember in the old days, that if you refreshed your page, then pulled the plug, and plugged back up, you could get results that showed terabit speeds.

The new Motorola Cable Modem SBG6580 has capacity for 343 mbps down and 122 mbps up.
Source: DOCSIS Speeds for Motorola Cable Modems and Gateways

what a modem is capable of transmitting and what the isp can get to your house are completely different.

also, i may be wrong in how i interpreted this, but I believe the speed that 343mbps connection is through 8 seperate connections, much like how a T1 line works but with coax instead of copper.

To clarify that for ya Peter, Cable connections can support multiple signals, otherwise known as channels. That is why we literally call 56 on the tv a channel, as it's channel 56. An 8 channel modem tunes into 8 different frequencies on the same copper line, so no need to have multiple feeds. But, you eventually run out of channels on cable as voice, and tv are also on those lines.

The thing comes down to, can the host provide such speeds (use the full extent of each channel all at once) most likely not, by host, I mean a webserver, not the ISP.

so yeah, that 343mbps capability would be purely a maximum theoretically achievable speed.

thanks for the clarification!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom