I could use some advice on my Internet connection.

NinjaPenguin76

Solid State Member
*Something to note* - I'm new, this is kinda lengthy and I'm aware there is a possibility that just by the sight of my title anyone who is a technological veteran/expert probably wanted to shoot themselves because I'm sure you get mundane questions like this all the time. With that said, I do need some advice or at least minimal reassurance about a problem with my internet and if you would take the time to read it and give me some form of feed back I would really appreciate it- even if it seems dumb to you.

Anyway.. :whistle:

Recently we have had trouble maintaining a connection on our internet. I could log on to Facebook and by the time I chose a different page chrome would display "No data received" or "Web page unavailable" and I had to reset the router. We contacted Cable One (our internet provider, they're kind of local to the southern part of the U.S Mainly I believe) and informed them we were only clocking 10.5 Mbps down on a speed test though we are paying for 50 Mbps. We were informed our modem was hideously outdated and we got a fancy new one today with no extra charge. We still were having complications as to the fact we could only clock those higher speeds (45-50 Mbps) when our computer was directly connected to the modem. If we connected our modem, router and computer together so we could have WiFi and give our desktop internet it took a HUGE toll and resulted in 7-10 Mbps speeds. I decided for myself that it had to be our router, because it was really old and it was the only logical explanation to me. We had a linksys wireless G 2.4ghz router (the one that most people imagine when they hear linksys) and it just really was the only thing I could imagine was the problem. My mom decided to go ahead and spend $100 on the linksys N750 Smart router to make a better long term investment, because it is a good quality router and we are using it in a small home with only us two (and a couple occasional guests) using it, so we assumed it would be plenty good enough for our needs. After hooking it all up we are now clocking 25-30 Mbps on both my laptop when connected to WiFi and our desktop respectively, which is quite the notable difference and I have not had the problem with losing connection or the internet loading slowly. However, shortly after testing all this out my mom went to take a shower and turned on Pandora on her phone and the speeds dropped down significantly (back to about 10 Mbps) but I didn't experience the internet failing to connect or slowing at all. I'm not sure why the speed dropped or if it really matters as long as we have a stable connection, but I assumed there might be someone out there who could help me. I am aware that this isn't the best router in existence but for us it should be very capable. I also understand 25-30 Mbps still wasn't full speed, but between two computers I felt like that was expected anyway. In the routers setting, it gives the option under media prioritization to set the downstream bandwidth (default was set on 16984 kbps) and I also wondered if I needed to adjust that. We do alot of heavy streaming if that helps you in giving some advice. If you have anything to contribute I would appreciate it, because I tried this on yahoo answers but you can't ever get any help it seems unless your question is something like "Y r 9 olds such noobzorss".

This is my way of letting everyone know I just found out Gizoogle is back up LOL!

*Somethang ta note* - I be new, dis is kinda lengthy n' I be aware there be a possibilitizzle dat just by tha sight of mah title mah playas whoz ass be a technological veteran/expert probably wanted ta blast theyselves cuz I be shizzle you git mundane thangs like dis all tha time. With dat holla'd, I do need some lyrics or at least minimal reassurizzle on some problem wit mah internizzle n' if you would take tha time ta read it n' break me off some form of feed back I would straight-up appreciate it- even if it seems dumb ta yo thugged-out ass.

Anyway..

Recently our crazy asses have had shiznit maintainin a cold-ass lil connection on our internet. I could log on ta Facebizzle n' by tha time I chose a gangbangin' finger-lickin' different page chrome would display "No data received" or "Web page unavailable" n' I had ta reset tha router n' ****. We contacted Cable One (our internizzle provider, they kind of local ta tha southern part of tha U.S Mainly I believe) n' informed dem we was only clockin 10.5 Mbps down on a speed test though we is payin fo' 50 Mbps. Us thugs was informed our modem was hideously outdated n' we gots a gangbangin' fancy freshly smoked up one todizzle wit no extra charge. We still was havin complications as ta tha fact we could only clock dem higher speedz (45-50 Mbps) when our computer was directly connected ta tha modem. If we connected our modem, router n' computer together so we could have WiFi n' give our desktop internizzle it took a HUGE toll n' resulted up in 7-10 Mbps speeds. I decided fo' mah dirty ass dat it had ta be our router, cuz dat shiznit was straight-up oldschool n' dat shiznit was tha only logical explanation ta mah dirty ass. Our thugged-out asses had a linksys wireless G 2.4ghz router (the one dat most playas imagine when they hear linksys) n' it just straight-up was tha only thang I could imagine was tha problem. My ****in momma decided ta go ahead n' spend $100 on tha linksys N750 Smart router ta cook up a funky-ass mo' betta long term investment, cuz it aint nuthin but a phat qualitizzle router n' we is rockin it up in a lil' small-ass home wit only our asses two (and a cold-ass lil couple occasionizzle guests) rockin it, so we assumed it would be ****loadz phat enough fo' our needz fo' realz. After hookin all dat shiznit up we is now clockin 25-30 Mbps on both mah laptop when connected ta WiFi n' our desktop respectively, which is like tha notable difference n' I aint had tha problem wit losin connection or tha internizzle loadin slowly. But **** dat shiznit yo, tha word on tha street is dat shortly afta testin all dis up mah momma went ta take a shower n' turned on Pandora on her beeper n' tha speedz dropped down hella (back ta bout 10 Mbps) but I didn't experience tha internizzle failin ta connect or slowin at all. I aint shizzle why tha speed dropped or if it straight-up mattas as long as our crazy asses gotz a stable connection yo, but I assumed there might be one of mah thugs up there whoz ass could help mah dirty ass. I be aware dat dis aint tha dopest router up in existence but fo' our asses it should be straight-up capable. I also KNOW 25-30 Mbps still wasn't full speed yo, but between two computas I felt like dat was expected anyway. In tha routas setting, it gives tha option under media prioritization ta set tha downstream bandwidth (default was set on 16984 kbps) n' I also wondered if I needed ta adjust dis shiznit fo' realz. All our asses dudes o alot of heavy streamin if dat helps you up in givin some lyrics. If you have anythang ta contribute I would appreciate it, cuz I tried dis on yahoo lyrics but you can't eva git any help it seems unless yo' question is suttin' like "Y r 9 oldz such noobzorss".

Ok, so that did not answer my question at all but I seriously almost died reading that. Partly because I lost so many brain cells reading and and partly because that was really freaking funny lol

I will now add Gizoogle to my list of things that amuse me.

Couple quick questions in the event you are still having problems.
1) Are any of the connections to your router wired?
2) How far away from the router are you when you test? (A low signal strength could explain slower network speeds. Thick walls and certain home appliances can interfere with wireless signals)
3) What is the model/serial number for your modem? Even though your cable company replaced your old one, it is possible the new one could have problems reaching the speeds you are paying for.
4) If the speeds are good for a direct connection to the modem, and only start to degrade when you hook up the router and connect your devices. Try testing the speed as you connect your devices one by one to see if a particular unit is causing the problems
5) What method are you using to test your connection speeds?
6) Regarding the streaming you mention in the post, what type of service are you using?
7) Is your network password protected? If so, WEP, WPA or WPA2?

This is about all I can think of for now, look forward to your response, unless of course you have already solved the problem. Best of luck mate. - Rube

2) How far away from the router are you when you test? (A low signal strength could explain slower network speeds. Thick walls and certain home appliances can interfere with wireless signals)
3) What is the model/serial number for your modem? Even though your cable company replaced your old one, it is possible the new one could have problems reaching the speeds you are paying for.
4) If the speeds are good for a direct connection to the modem, and only start to degrade when you hook up the router and connect your devices. Try testing the speed as you connect your devices one by one to see if a particular unit is causing the problems
6) Regarding the streaming you mention in the post, what type of service are you using?

This is about all I can think of for now, look forward to your response, unless of course you have already solved the problem. Best of luck mate. - Rube

Well, I have solved the problem now. It turned out that when we had our old router, it was likely configured to where it was limiting our downstream bandwidth. We got it for free from a friend but it was only the router and it didn't have the installation cd. We just plugged it in and it worked. The new one we have though (since we actually payed for it) had all the stuff and we were able to do some configuring. I set the downstream bandwidth to a higher level (40,000 kbps) and now we're getting 35-38 mbps which is in the range of what it's set to. I set it to 50,000 at one point but I can't remember if it got full 50, or if it even got higher than the 35-38 it's getting now. I know it's doing better, and we haven't had any problems with it.

Also, just to answer a few of your question in case it helps-
We are using a WPA2 password protection on a linksys EA3500 N750 Smart Router, the nature of the streaming we are doing is things like YouTube, Netflix and Pandora. Pandora seems to be much more memory intensive if my mom is doing it on her phone rather than our Blu-Ray player. My method of testing was just speedtest.net and I would test it a couple feet from the router. It seemed like before when the router wasn't involved and it was a straight modem connection it was like 45-48 mbps and that declined (wireless or not) when I plugged the modem into the router. That did change when we got the new router, though we still aren't getting 50 mbps. At the moment I haven't worried about it because it 35-38 mbps is still fast.

Back
Top Bottom