I cannot figure out how to network my computers enabling file and printer sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waragent

Beta member
Ive been searching the internet and using the windows xp programs but I cannot seem to set up my 2 computers so that they are networked with file sharing cababilities.

My setup is as follows..

-I have 2 computers

-I have a linksys router which is connected directly to my internet service provider box.

-Everything uses network cables and is not wireless.

-I have 2 computers, one running on windows xp home and the other running on windows xp pro. I have the windows xp home CD but I do not have the windows xp pro CD.

-Both computers use different firewalls and antivirus software.(norton 2005 for xp home pc. Mcaffe for xp pro pc.)

-Both computers are connected directly to the linksys router and the internet runs perfectly on both computers.

-The xp home computer is connected to my printer.

My goal is to be able to share files on both computers and share the printer for both of the computers.

Please help :D

Check to see if both computer has file and print sharing enable in network properties. Make sure netBIOS is enable in TCP/IP advanced/WINS tab.

Check to see if both computer are in the same workgroup

Check to see if windows firewall or other firewall have file and print sharing allowed. Make sure port 137,138,139 is not blocked by your router or software firewall.

For windows xp pro you can disable simple file sharing in folder option, this would give you more feature for sharing and editing security policy. In home edition all you can do is right click and share the folder.

In XP pro when you right click a folder go to share tab "share this folder" then click permission make sure the everyone group is listed. Cancel out go to security tab make sure everyone group is listed if not click add then advanced then find now and add the everyone group. Leave the default permission it should just say read+execute, list folder and read. click ok and get out.

In XP pro go to control panel adminsitrator tools\computer management\local user and groups\user and make sure guest account is enable. While in administrator tools go to local security policies\local policies\user rights assignment where it says "Access this computer from the network" make sure the everyone group is listed there else add it and where it says "Deny access to this computer from network" make sure no group is listed there.

Open up command prompt and ping the remote machine making sure you get a response. Now do nbtstat -A remote machine ip address for example nbtstat -A 192.168.1.100 and see if you get a response. You can also do a nbtstat -R to clear any old configuration or caches.

Sometime you might have to restart both computer just incase. If you follow these step you should be good. I don't think I forgot anything...

to check network properties right mouse click my network places and select properties. or you can access it from the control pannel under network connections. My first guess would be a firewall issue. disconnect from the internet by turning off your modem. then turn off both firewalls and my guess is you would be in. If this is the case you need to set up the firewalls to have trusted zones. unsuall 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5 should work depending upon the range your dhcp server is handing out. you can chep ip addresses by opening a compand prompt and typing ipconfig /all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom