I cannot access shared docs on 1 of my 3 computers on a home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastafari

Solid State Member
I have a home network with 2 desktops and a laptop connected through a netgear router. They are all Windows XP (#1 is Media Center, #2 and 3 are Home).

Computer #3 can access the stuff in Shared Docs on computers #1 and #2. Computers #1 & 2 can also access each other's Shared Docs.

However, when I try to access the Shared Docs in Comp #3 from Comp #1 or #2 I get an error message.

"Shared Docs not accessible . You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

The thing is that I can access the printer on Comp #3 from #1 & #2 but still cannot get the shared docs. I have tried disabling the firewall but still no luck.
By the way, Comp#3 does not show up on #1 & #2 under Network Connections but it shows up under Workgroup Computers.

Any suggestions?:confused:

well, first check if the files of comp3 are shared... right click the file/folder/drive that you want to share and click sharing and security ,check "share this computer on the network"

second, try disabling system restore on comp3...i had a similar error message just 3 days ago and this solved the problem..hope it works for you too.. gudluck

It sounds as if you have the solution already answered. Is the Network name for all 3 the same? You say it doesnt show up on the netowrk until you go to workgroup computers. I think the 3rd PC is under the workgroup name for the network while the others are under MSHOME the default for Windows XP.

Thanks for the responses from 'bopol' and 'Makaveli213'. However, neither one worked for me.

To bopol :- the files on Comp#3 ARE shared. Disabling system restore (in "systems") on Comp#3 still did NOT allow access to the shared files - even after restarting Comp#3.

To Makaveli213 ;- The work group name for ALL three is the same and it is NOT MSHOME.

Anymore ideas out there? I am at my whits end trying to figure this out !!:confused:

THANKS again.

Thanks to bla!! - the advice worked for me !! The IRPStackSize was 11 so I increased it to 17 (on the second try) and that worked !!

THANKS for your help !!:D

Wow I had this problem last year with a three computer setup and I just did a reinstall and that fixed it. A lot more work than the fix you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom