I can not access our work's website from work

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

In Runtime
Hi

At work I have got a windows 2003 server (Active Directory environment with Exchange) and 10 clients with XP OS, Server 2003 acting as internal DNS

They are connected to a snap gear router which is connected to an ADSL modem.

We have got a work's website suppose it is called: Works.org.nl which is hosted with external provider I cannot access our work's website Works.org.nl from any PC at work but I have got no problem to access any other websites.

From work when I ping the our work website Works.org.nl it times out but it gives me this ip address 234.56.79.104 ,,,,,,,,,,not the real ip address please pay attention to last octet

From home when I ping our work website Works.org.nl it does not time out (means there is a reply) but it gives me this ip address 234.56.79.20,,,,,,,, not the real ip address only last octet is different comparing to ip address at work.

From home I have got no problem to access our work's website Works.org.nl

1- What I did I put the IP address I got when I ping from home in the address bar of our work computer, it didn't work

2- I cleaned DNS cache by applying below

ipconfig /flushdns
net stop dnscache
net start dnscache

Any other thought what else should I try ?

Thanks

your internal dns may have the address cached as well. AD DNS console has a right click option to clear the server cache.

as a workaround you could add a entry to a workstation's hosts file.

you any need to check for any static entries in the internal dns. unlikely though as its hosted externally.

is the problem that dns is resolving the wrong ip? if so, I'd prolly contact the ISP and say your dns resolves to x address and my other isp service resolves y address.

Is the website the same as your internal domain?
I did not gt that ,,,,,but our domain name is : works.LOCAL and webiste is www.works.org.nl

If so, add an A record "www" as a host name and the sites IP address to your internal DNS entries.
Please see the snap shot below I did add www that is associated with 192.168.0.50 (server ip address) the entry before the last one in the table
http://i41.tinypic.com/23jk3yb.jpg

But it did not work .

What I did I removed only the last entry from the table which is : www associtaed with publich ip address (I beileved ISP DNS), still no joy.

is the problem that dns is resolving the wrong ip?
I think this is the problem

if so, I'd prolly contact the ISP and say your dns resolves to x address and my other isp service resolves y address.
I though that the problem within DNS for our Active Directory.

Hi

More details to what I had done

Under "Forward Lookup Zone" there are three subzones:

msdcs.works.local

works.local

works.org.nl

First I added www that is associated with 192.168.0.50 (before the last one in the table) under "works.org.nl" subzone as in the figure below:
http://i44.tinypic.com/oh8ikk.jpg

Then I removed only entry for www that was associated with ISP DNS (i.e. public ip address last one in the table) from that subzone ,as depicted in the snap shot below
http://i39.tinypic.com/r09w68.jpg
r09w68.jpg

they have a internal zone for a server hosted by a 3rd party? this is not best practice.

can the web host control this zone? dns transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom