I can not access our work's website from work

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you run a tracert to Works.org.nl (your site) does it leave your network and hit external DNS servers?
At work I tried this :
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\itsupport>tracert works.org.nl
Unable to resolve target system name works.org.nl.

At home when I tried tracert works.org.nl
it worked

What I did ,,,,at home when I pinged Works.org.nl (again I made this name up as an example), I got an external ip address (202.y.y.y)

At work under works.org.nl forward lookup zone I updated the 3 entries ftp, list, www from the old ip address to the new one (i.e. 202.y.y.y) and now I can access Works.org.nl from work and I can ping Works.org.nl from work as well.

Would I have done the right thing or still I need to consider other thing in the DNS configuration ?

If the actual external IP for the website is changed in few months later do I need to update works.org.nl forward lookup zone again ?

what you've done obviously works. However, like you mentioned, if the 3rd party host decides to change the ip, you'll need to update the records again. Actually, I think you could get away with removing the zone from your internal dns as long as it has a forwarder setup. People on the outside can resolve the name so this means either your internal dns is resolving addresses for the public (unlikely) or the external host already controls the dns zone. You could test this by configuring a machine on the internal network to use the ISP's dns server as opposed to the internal dns you have setup.

I think you could get away with removing the zone from your internal dns as long as it has a forwarder setup.
I just want to confirm " Forwarders " tab with DNS configuration what information should it hold ? please see the snapshot below

http://i43.tinypic.com/dpvjn9.jpg

dpvjn9.jpg

You could test this by configuring a machine on the internal network to use the ISP's dns server as opposed to the internal dns you have setup.
If I want to test that are u suggesting to setup another win2003 server for a testing purpose ?? because for a workstation I had already tested that by using IPS's DNS setting and it worked

i usually config the forwarders tab to contain the ISP's dns servers. Since this info is blank on your dns, I'm clueless as to how the workstations on your network are resolving addresses not owned by the internal dns; like http://www.google.com. What happens when you run nslookup www.google.com whats the non authoritive server?

the test you performed is the same as the test i described. it doesn't matter whether wkst or server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom