I am sharing a wireless signal with my neighbor...is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

We just moved to a new location. Our friends live next door. At their suggestion, we agreed to share the wireless signal with them and split the monthly cost for high speed internet.

They have encrypted the signal with 64-bit WPA. They shared their password with me.

My million dollar questions:

Is my system vulnerable to others?

Can someone without the password access my system through the wireless signal?

Can someone hardwired into the router access my computer?

Would installing a firewall other than the firewall on Windows 7 be helpful?

Is there a program that can tell me if someone is trying to access my system [I remember years ago my brother showed me two programs that had incredible abilities. One was Zone Alarm that would sound a warning when a hacker was attempting to access his system. The other program was Black Ice which had the ability to ping a hacker and eventually show you exactly where they were (even showed the building they were in by using satellite photos, the network administrators name, and the address of the building.]

Ok, those are my questions.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks,

Soar

You are fine. WPA is hackable in less than 1 minute if someone really wants to get in for whatever reason. I wouldnt worry about it thou.

Is my system vulnerable to others?

Can someone without the password access my system through the wireless signal?

Can someone hardwired into the router access my computer?

Would installing a firewall other than the firewall on Windows 7 be helpful?
Soar

1. There is always potential for this no matter what your setup is.

2. Yes since you are on the same network as them now there is a chance that they can access your system through the Network.

3. Same as above.

No installing a 3rd party firewall would not do you any good. The Win7 firewall is above and beyond the best firewall built in since they started to do that. You have to make sure that you do not allow shared files or connections.

1. There is always potential for this no matter what your setup is.

2. Yes since you are on the same network as them now there is a chance that they can access your system through the Network.

3. Same as above.

No installing a 3rd party firewall would not do you any good. The Win7 firewall is above and beyond the best firewall built in since they started to do that. You have to make sure that you do not allow shared files or connections.

Mak,

Thanks for the great info. I will stick with Windows 7 firewall and rest in peace!

Have a great day Mak!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom