Hub/Switch Recommendations

DudeGuyBro

Solid State Member
Hello everyone. I need some advice!

I am pricing, buying, and installing a network for my father's new office in the next few months. I have a decent aptitude for this kind of tech, but not a lot of experience.

The setup will be for a new dentist office. Roughly 20 computers, but probably only around 10 used at any one time. Cat 6 cable has been installed, and is running to a utility room for the IT stuff. The only available internet connection is DOCSIS 24/4. The computers will be 64bit windows 7 machines.

We will be transmitting a larger amount of imaging data (3D xray data) locally. A typical 3D image file is around 300 mb, and I'll need to access a local server folder to view these files from computers located in the operating rooms.

From an internet standpoint, our practice runs on cloud-based software. The data will be mainly text and some normal-sized image files pulled from the cloud-based server.

I would just like to get some thoughts on a particular Hub/Switch/Router that you may recommend, and perhaps any pitfalls to void while I'm trying to do this.

Thank you very much for any advice.

I would look or ask for 10 gbps switches and nics. This will shorten the time to the transfer the big files. if that's not feasible then only go to 1 Gbps at the least.

Be sure to get two switches. one switch should be able to connect all devices. if one goes down, you'll want to move everything to the other switch.

if you're using public cloud servers, then you'll prolly want a redundant inet connection too. Pick a different vendor and technology type if you can. cable / dsl /fios / wireless

Those are great suggestions, thank you.

I have a mifi hotspot as an emergency backup... we can knock the needs of the whole network down to just one computer for internet if needed... though that's not ideal. Will likely go with DSL as you suggested.

I will check for the 10gb switches.

Last week I finished my fourth dental office two of which are also on cloud servers.

Two of these have a total of 35 devices on the network and I installed a standard 1gig switch after the ISP router, two of which are cable and the other two due to location are DSL.

The first office is DSL with cloud server, been in service for two years and except for a normal power outage, and some one cutting the phone lines, they have never had a problem.

In this day and age in a small to medium business, if you do NOT use at least a 1gig switch behind the ISP modum, you are asking for problems.

Small dydtems like yours, stay with a switch, hubs are for much larger systems.

As for equipment, I have been using Trendnet and Levelone and have had VERY good luck with them, they are a cross between a home level and a larger business equipment.

I just payed $90.00 for a 16 port, 1gig Levelone switch. My supplyer told me a 24 port was about $150.00.

Good luck with your system

Last week I finished my fourth dental office two of which are also on cloud servers.

Two of these have a total of 35 devices on the network and I installed a standard 1gig switch after the ISP router, two of which are cable and the other two due to location are DSL.

The first office is DSL with cloud server, been in service for two years and except for a normal power outage, and some one cutting the phone lines, they have never had a problem.

In this day and age in a small to medium business, if you do NOT use at least a 1gig switch behind the ISP modum, you are asking for problems.

Small dydtems like yours, stay with a switch, hubs are for much larger systems.

As for equipment, I have been using Trendnet and Levelone and have had VERY good luck with them, they are a cross between a home level and a larger business equipment.

I just payed $90.00 for a 16 port, 1gig Levelone switch. My supplyer told me a 24 port was about $150.00.

Good luck with your system

Thank you!

After checking the NIC's on the PC's I ordered, it looks like i'll be limited to 1gbps. I will look into the equipment that you have recommended.

I've been looking around and located the HP ProCurve 2910al-24G J9145A#ABA 10/100/1000Mbps Switch.

Does this look like it would do the trick? I assume I will also need a router to negotiate my internet connection?

Why do you wish to spend over $800.00 for some thing that does the same job for less then $250.00?

Yes that switch will work, and yes as for a router, your ISP modum will normally also be a router, so you do not need to by another one.

Where are you located at, there has to be an supplyer close to you, if you have that much trouble, contact me at cabletech03@hotmail.com and I will set you up with a switch FOR LESS THEN $800.00. Hell, I will sell you two for $800.00

I've been looking around and located the HP ProCurve 2910al-24G J9145A#ABA 10/100/1000Mbps Switch.

Does this look like it would do the trick? I assume I will also need a router to negotiate my internet connection?

If you're going to be limited to 1 gbps then any 24 port, unmanaged gigabit switch should suit your needs. You can get one for $100 to $200 USD. You don't need a ProCurve - that's enterprise class gear that won't really do anything extra for you.

You don't want anything less than an SMB router for a business/office. You don't need a rack mounted unit but you also don't want some Belkin or Linksys handling business data.

Back
Top Bottom