Hub problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
OK, I have two computers, an Xbox, and a cable modem connected to a hub. The thing is only one computer is not getting any connection. The other computer and the Xbox are the only ones online. I also restarted the computer not online, and still doesn't get connection. What is wrong?

If you have a hub connected to the cable modem then only 1 device is able to connect to the internet. Basicly a hub is just a repeater with multiple ports that is all. You need a router with switchport technology to be able to have multiple host connect to the internet.

Law said:
If you have a hub connected to the cable modem then only 1 device is able to connect to the internet. Basicly a hub is just a repeater with multiple ports that is all. You need a router with switchport technology to be able to have multiple host connect to the internet.
Sorry Law, I have to disagree. If only one device can connect at a time then why can he get two devices to connect, the Xbox, and the first computer? Now it is true that only one device can connect at a time, but not in that sense; and that only makes it very inefficient. Think of it like a party line, only one person can talk at a time. Yes routers and switches are incredibly more effective and a lot better, but I don't think that's the problem.

We used to have hubs in our offices, until we upgraded. In some offices we had as many as 24 people connected to a hub, many of whom were online at the same time.

b1gapl I'd check your network card. If using windows xp double click My Network Places, then click on View Network Connections. It should show your NIC under Lan or High Speed Internet. If working correctly it should say something like connected, under the title of the NIC. Make sure there is a green light lit on the NIC itself. If all that passes try pulling your network cord out and putting it back in. Try pinging another computer by going to Start --> Run --> and typing cmd --> then type: "ping 192.168.0.X" (X = the IP of the other computer). Also, after pinging the other computer, type "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt and copy and paste the output here.

A hub connected to a cable modem will only let 1 host communicate outside the network. His computer and XBOX have the same ip address but the XBOX may not be doing anything at the time. Your company with 24 people on a hub is connected to a router that assign each host a private ip address using NAT and assign each host a unique port to associate it using PAT that way they can all us a single ip address to communicate using a single ip address.

If this was not true for your company then they will not be able to access anything outside thier network but only the host connected to the hub. The same goes for switches and bridges.

All he needs is a router.

Obtruse_Man4 said:
Sorry Law, I have to disagree. If only one device can connect at a time then why can he get two devices to connect, the Xbox, and the first computer? Now it is true that only one device can connect at a time, but not in that sense; and that only makes it very inefficient. Think of it like a party line, only one person can talk at a time. Yes routers and switches are incredibly more effective and a lot better, but I don't think that's the problem.

We used to have hubs in our offices, until we upgraded. In some offices we had as many as 24 people connected to a hub, many of whom were online at the same time.

b1gapl I'd check your network card. If using windows xp double click My Network Places, then click on View Network Connections. It should show your NIC under Lan or High Speed Internet. If working correctly it should say something like connected, under the title of the NIC. Make sure there is a green light lit on the NIC itself. If all that passes try pulling your network cord out and putting it back in. Try pinging another computer by going to Start --> Run --> and typing cmd --> then type: "ping 192.168.0.X" (X = the IP of the other computer). Also, after pinging the other computer, type "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt and copy and paste the output here.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Law on this one...Its not really about what DEVICE you use, but rather how it obtains an IP address. A hub or switch alone is retarded and does not have DHCP capabilities. We to previously had about 14 hubs as our main connection from the patch panel, but we also had a Windows DCHP server to hand out internal address's. Now most likely your offie had a DHCP server to hand out IP address's thus the reasons the hubs worked for you...or they were connected to a router then hubs..something needs to assign it an IP address..

What is most likely happening now is the only DHCP server available is that from the ISP..which is giving all devices the same IP address that is assigned to his connection...this being an external address something like 66.95.24.23..he will never see an internal address i.e. 192.168.1.x. Most likely the ISP has a MAC filter that may allow him only to attch to a said amount of devices at one time. A router should clear this problem up..however just to verify unplug all items from the hub, and connect the trouble computer directly to the cable modem..if that works then you know its simply an IP assignment issue...be sure to reset the modem before you plug it into your PC...

Even with a DHCP server the only way to get out to the internet is through the use of a router. Only device that can forward packets base on destination IP address.

Now that I didnt know..sweeet thanks! We do have a router though which explains why the internet worked..well we have many routers...but..yea.

My bad, sorry Law. And yes we did have a server in the office, but not 100% sure what we had on it. It worked is all I know :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom