Hub not providing internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Everything is connected correctly on the hub, and it only provides internet to my computer and not my brother's. All the lights are on, I even rebooted both computers, the modem, and the hub. And nothing is wrong with the equipment because I can exchange files with my friend's computer, with the same hub and ethernet cables. I didn't bother with the configurations because it suppose to be plug and play. Can anyone help me? It even worked before between my computer and my bro's but suddenly stopped working after I reformatted.

if this a HUB and not a ROUTER, that is your problem. I suspect you are using cable/DSL so the problem is that the line provided by your ISP only has 1 ip on it. you need ips for each machine. You will need to obtain a router to provide that for you.

Did you maybe have ICS runing for your brohers machine? that could be the other why it changed after the rebuild...

Internet connection sharing.
what is the model number of the HUB? need some details for this.

Just use your help file in windows to find out how to enable and setup internet connection sharing. This basically just sets up one of your computers as a simple router. I wasn't ever impressed with ICS when I tried it. If funds are available, go buy a router.
They are not very expensive and pretty much take the work out of setting up a home network for sharing internet connections.
I've had very good luck with the SMC Barricade.

ICS requires that you have one Pc with 2 NICs. For ICS you donot need the Hub but I would put it just to have another hop. ICS is very easy in XPbut takes a little research with 2000. Look it Up on windows help. But idealy You should have a router.

ok, so that is a hub. You do need a router. ICS is not the best thing in the world, Soft routing never is. Routers are less than $100 anymore so it's worth it, cause you get a pretty easy setup and additional connections that you don't have to setup but once.

If you have more questions, let us know...

Good luck

The thing is that, it was working before, and I don't see why it doesn't work anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom