a Hub..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiZcO

In Runtime
Well, i just bought a PS3 that i got hooked up wirelessly right now, but keep gettin booted off the playstation network cause dont think it has a strong signal, anyways i have a 100ft CAT5 ran to my room for my computer, i dont wanna have to run another 100f CAT5 to my room for my PS3 is there any kind of Hub or anything that connect to one CAT5 and can connect another CAT5 thru another port for the same room... or im Sh*t out of luck and just gotta run another CAT5 to my room?

You can use a network Ethernet switch. A switch connects to your router and adds ports. I have a 5 port Netgear FS605v3 switch, works great.

Modem --> (WAN port) Router (LAN port) --> (LAN port) Switch (LAN ports) --> PC and PS3

It basically adds ports to your router, but you can put it at the end of a long cord.

This is what I have: FS605 - NETGEAR.com

a hub will work, if you have one already. As cheap as switches, if you are going to buy get a switch

Switches are better than hubs. Hubs create network packet collisions and can slow down the whole network if one device is downloading a lot of files or transmitting a lot of data (like playing an online game). Switches can perform simple routing to send packets where they need to go rather than sending them to every connected device. That means switches provide faster, more stable networks.

Only use a hub if you already have one. If you're looking to buy a new one, go with a switch (such as the Netgear one I mentioned). I bought mine at Best Buy for like $30.

awesome, so with that switch, say i have a 100ft Cat5 ran to my room, i can connect that cat5 to the switch in my room and just have two different Cat5's in my room.. one going to my computer and the other going to the PS3?

Assuming the cord to your room is connected to a router, then you can plug the cord into the switch. Then you can plug two more cords from the switch to the PC and PS3.

If the device on the other end of the 100 foot cord to your room ISN'T a router (just a modem), then it won't work, because a switch needs to be connected to a DCHP server (which is one of the functions of a router). But most likely it is a router and a switch will work fine. Follow the installation "instruction" picture on the Netgear site:

Modem -> Router -> Switch -> Devices

Using a switch won't affect other Ethernet devices on the router, so you don't have to worry about other PC's connected straight to the router.

awesome, 100ft CAT5 is coming directly from my Linksys router, sense i have a Linksys would you recommend i get a Linksys Switch or would netgear be fine also?

Any brand, I happen to have a Netgear router and switch, but I have a Linksys modem. But since Ethernet 10/100 is a standard, all 10/100 Ethernet (Fast Ethernet) devices are intercompatible. I'd go with the Netgear (I like mine, it's small and looks the same as my router, and it works well), but any brand will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom