How to use a hub (3COM Linkbuilder ii)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcbwholesale

Solid State Member
Hi,
We have 2 computers which both require internet connections.

Computer A - Has a BT Voyager Modem/ Router and is currently connected via the USB cable.

Computer B - Has a 3Com Linkbuilder ii hub which has a network connection to an accounts server computer (not on premises)

at the moment computer Bs' only ethernet port is used up with the cable coming from the hub.

I was wondering if I can plug the spare ehternet cable from the BT voyager modem into the hub and if so, which port on the hub and will I have to change any settings on computer B?

I realise there are easier ways of doing this but we are on a budget and only have a limited amount of equipment and 30m cables!

Thanks for your help,
Joe

yes it does, this is what I was planning to do...

could I plug the ethernet cable from the NIC card in Comp A to the hub on Comp B and if so where on the hub?

can a hub take many inputs and send them all via one cable?

surely using ICS via ethernet would be the same as using ethernet from the BT voyager actually......

im sorry, i forgot to mention the following. To setup ICS you'll need a machine with two nics. you'll connect the modem to one nic and connetc the hub to the other. in the other machine connect the nic to the hub. The machine with two nics is the host and will need to be on and connected to serve inet access; this machine acts as a router.

nice one

I had actually bought another NIC but I was told I may have problems with IRQs if I used two network cards in one machine.

Would there be anything I would have to do? IP settings etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom