how they can use my internet connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kopenhagen

In Runtime
I live in a condo appartment of 100 residents, I'm aware of some wireless routers, I use modem cable, will they be able to use my connection for free? and how to stop it?

If you have a wireless network router, then there is a chance that they will be able to use it if you have no security set up.

When you set up your wireless network onthe router, there should be a whole section on secuirty. Youcan choose what channel your sgnal is sent out on a add a password.

The best forms of password are Wep and WPA. With WPA you can also set this up to be even more secure using TKIP.

You can set up a long complicated password, be sure to write it down, and then link up your computer/laptop so that it automatically connetcs to the network and saves the password.

If you just have a secuirty free wireless netowrk, there is a high chance peopel can connect t it and they wont pay a penny, it will all come on your bill...

whay router/modem do you have?

oO KitteN Oo said:
If you have a wireless network router, then there is a chance that they will be able to use it if you have no security set up.

whay router/modem do you have?

I have a desktop and don't have wireless network router or any router, I use cable modem that's all

If thats it, then you are fine... they can't connect to you unless they (stealthly... lol) break in, and connect a cable to your modem and run it to their condo (this would be pretty obvious.... a cable running across your condo, to the one across the hall.... lol...

The other way is that they can connect to your router (ONLY IF IT IS WIRELESS).... Since you already said your router isn't wireless, you should be golden...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom