how to switch connection between LAN and WLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

daric

Solid State Member
two type of network connection is running together ( LAN and WLAN) .
how i determine an application is pass through which connection?
example, a browser(IE or other application) is running then may i choose the IE is connected to the internet using WAN or WLAN ?
i know the system will automatic switch the connection,normaly priority for LAN is more higher but can i choose to WLAN?
the system using is
window xp pro sp2

Well it depends on if the computer is connected directly to the router or on a hub, router, AP, ect.....

If it is connected directly to the router, then u are on the LAN, if you are connected to somthing that is connected to the router, then you are on WLAN. Here is a link that might help you:

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aick.html

Diz, your brief summary of WLAN is incorrect....

WLAN is WirelessLAN... Just as it states, it communicates without wires between devices.

Daric, I am having some trouble understanding what it is you are asking... It sounds like you have a host that is both wired and wireless.... is this the case? There is no need for 2 connections like that, it isn't going to speed up your browsing, because the internet pipe is going to be considerable slower than the LAN or WLAN.

:rolleyes: I stand corrected....... :rolleyes:

What i was thinking of is WAN, which stands for Wide Area Network. I was really tierd yesterday, and i thought WLAN was Wide Local Area Network. I apologize for the mis-information.

Hats off to you Etherial Dragon. :D

If you have a computer connected with a wireless and wired, the wired will be use because it has the lower metric, if you want it to use the wireless connection, just lower the metric to something lower than the wired connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom