How to share Printer and scanner on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
I have brother printer and another simple scanner to share across the network, both equipment don't have network card but USB. There is a situation that I must share these items on the network.

I know that one way to share is install printer software on one computer plug USB cable and share the printer, If that computer is ON, the network can find printer.

Is there a better way that this ?

Also scanner share ???
I have tried many ways to share scanner, even the same method of sharing like printer is not working on scanner. That's simple standalone scanner. Can anybody please help me how to share USB scanner across the network ? Thank you very much.

Just on a very high level....

The scanner wont work as a share as the same way as a printer. A printer is an output device and a scanner is an input device. It's like trying to find a mouse that is attached to a computer over a network to share with another. It's not going to happen. There is hope though! On the CD/DVD that came with your scanner there may be a utility that will allow it to be shared over the network. Unless a third party (like you scanner producer) is involved... Windows will simply treat it like another input device.

You could purchase a print server. That should solve the Printer issue.

As Mike stated, the only way a scanner would work over a network like that is if the maker has drivers to support it as a network device. The same is true for printers, but most are usually supported for network use. I find most often that the multifunction printers don't have network support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom