how to setup winxp pro file sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
i have a winxp pro machine that i want to act as a server on a peer-to-peer wireless G network using WEP encryption. we have 2 win98SE machines that will be the workstation.

i am trying to set up shared folders on the server so each win98SE user can login to their own folders. i have been trying to do this by disabling 'simple file sharing' and adding specific users to the permission of each folder.

now i dont understand how this works because it lets me add only users who have an account on the winXP machine. shouldnt it let me add users from accounts on the win98SE machines?

i made accounts on the winXP machine that matches the accounts on the win98SE machines. when i try to access a shared folder through win98 machine i get 'access denied' or the shared folder does not even appear in network neighborhood.

if i use simple file sharing the win98SE machines can access the shared folders but obviously anyone can get into any of the folders, which is not what i want.

What are your Sharing and Security policies set to?
This is a good example. Make sure that you have "Log on as Themselves". And also you have to make sure that you are setting these users into a policy that will aloow network share access.

-Mike

Attachments

• bad moniter 1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 33
I suggest you check on the Win XP pro server if the other 2 win 98 machines are on the network.

Are the Win 98 machines compatible with the encryption system running on the server?

Another suggestion may be to temporarily disable all firewalls and try again.

How is the network connected with the other Workstations?

This is a strange case.

if you are passing though a wireless router to another subnet/IP octet; meaning 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1, you will not be able to use netbios names to connect to the machine due to NAT not passing this info. There are a few routers that will, but most won't... Sounds like a problem I had is why I'm telling you that...
Something you will want to try is to create local accounts for the machines like you did and then log onto each account on all of the machines. You need to have the profiles loaded before the secuity policys take place if I remember correctly. Once done, as long as the name and the password match, you shouldn't have any problems getting to the shares.
If you are have Netbios problems, then you have to map via IP instead of name.
Good luck

Access denied means that the machines are talking...
can the xp machine see folders on the 98 pcs... the machines are talking....

Have you told the 98 machines to be in the DOMAIN not the workgroup, this will setup machine accounts for the 98pcs on the XP server...
try logging in as \\domainname\username

I don't think that there is a domain controller in play here. He mentioned that it's a simple p-2-p.

-Mike

oops, how did i not see my own topic? i had duplicated the exact usernames and passwords. i had winXP firewall off. the cause of the problem turned out to be that i was not currently logged in as the users which i added to the permission list on winXP.

it was a obvious mistake i overlooked, thanks guys for the suggestions, very much appreciated. oh and mike thanks for the adice to use 128bit over 64 bit WEp. the key it generates is amazingly long though. . .how much of a slowdown does that put on a 54Mbit network?

You would be amazed....not long at all. We are talking about an operation that is transparant to the end-user. Cool thing is, you can setup your connection once to "always put in the code for you" every time that you connect to this router, so, if you have a laptop that you use on multiple networks, everytime it connects back to this 128-bit encrpt SSID that you setup....it will throw in the code in the background. Doesn't slow it up at all.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom