How to Setup a Network in Windows Server 2003

Discusman

In Runtime
Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a network using my server that is running WIndows Server 2003. I have another computer which it is running windows XP. I want to be able to access the share folder on my server from the workstation (Windows XP).

First, I need to setup a network. Both computers are connected to the FI-OS router. I have activated the file server service in Windows Server 2003 and created a shared folder on the hard drive.

I also edited the TCP/IP of the server and make sure the IP address is different from the one of the workstation. Everything else in the property stays the same.

I still couldn't find the share folder in the my network place on the workstation.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Did you enable File & Printer sharing through the Sharing Wizard on XP?

No.. But why I want to do that?

I want to use the Windows server 2003 as a server and all I need to be able to access the share folder on the server from the workstation which is currently running Windows XP.

I suspect the Windows XP firewall is enabled. Therefore, I am unable to see the share folder in my network place?

Because in order for the XP machine to see the shared folders, you have to enable sharing.

So I enabled the sharing on Windows XP machine. Now I can only see the local shared folders on XP machine. I still do not see the share folder on the server.

There is no my network place in Windows Server 2003. What should I do next?

Ok. I was able to setup the active directory on the server (Windows server 2003). I added a computer (Windows XP) to the active directory (Users & Computers). Now I have full access to all folders on my server's drive.

I actually only want to have access to one folder (Public Folder) on the server. How can I set user access to these folders? Do I add a newer in active directory?

Ok. I was able to setup the active directory on the server (Windows server 2003). I added a computer (Windows XP) to the active directory (Users & Computers). Now I have full access to all folders on my server's drive.

I actually only want to have access to one folder (Public Folder) on the server. How can I set user access to these folders? Do I add a newer in active directory?

Permissions. This can be implemented in multiple ways. I would use group policy on your server.

Is the XP running on that box the professional edition? Correct me if I'm wrong here anyone but I believe its not very effective to use a standard XP edition in a network environment. You are missing out on a lot of functions.

Back
Top Bottom