How to setup a direct connection with CAT Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper4387

Solid State Member
Ok here is my problem, I have two computers in the same room. I want to transfer the stuff off my old computer to my new computer. I was told I could do it by using a CAT cable. SO I bought one and have been struggling to get it to work. Both computers have Windows XP. How do I set up both computers so that I can transfer the old stuff to the new computer.

****, alright I also happen to have the router in my room as well. Could I do it that way? If so how?

first you need a cross over cable not sraight through,

second there is an easier way

you can unhook ( turn your pc off first ) your cable going to the cd drives ( they are pata, flat grey cable ? ) and hook up the old HD, this way no jumpers to set. The old HD is pata also , flat grey cable ? If you just let windows copy , windows will error and copy will exit, so where do you pick up ? Use this program it will work for 30 days, you just need it for one. DL and instal ADCS
ADV DIR COMPARE
http://www.heatsoft.com/

Navigate to \\documents and settings\ your name ( or profile ) \ desktop in windows exploere make a folder called "old data"
this will appear on your desktop . Then just use ADCS to copare your HD with the empty old data folder, the program will copy every bit of data off your HD to the old data folder and you can delete what you don't want....you will be done while the other guy is still coppying with his nic.

I would really rather keep all the hardware where it is. If possible I want to try and do this without having to go buy anymore cables, and without having to physically remove any hardware. I have all the networking stuff in my room on my desk. I have the dsl modem, the wireless router and both computers all in the same area. I have a CAT 6 cable if that is good for anything, and a few ethernet cables.

you said you have the router there? does it have multiple ports on the back? if so and they are labeled LAN, then you are in business. All you need it to plug them in there, each one on it's own port, then power them on. once booted. Get the IP from each machine. Then from the machine you what to copy to, run \\otherIP\c$ and that will prompt you with a username/password dialog. punch in the accounts you use, and that should open it up for you. if not, let us know.

Are you just going to copy stuff like your documents and money or quicken back ups address book internet explorer favs, stuff like that ?

if you copy the root of the HD as suggested , you are going to experience the scenario I stated earlier, you are going to hit a file that windows can not copy, usually 1/2 way through. I would install a simple peer 2 peer create a folder called back up or something like that and share, put everthing in it to back up.

Ok, the router does have four lan ports on it. I tried to run \\otherIP\c$ but this only comes up with an error message stating that the network path was not found. That is where I am at. I went to the start menu, then to run and typed in \\otherIP\c$, and that is what happened. If there are any other details on how to get it to work let me know. As for Tractorboy's question, I have about 17 gigs of anime series that took me months to find. That is what I want from the HD, I wouldn't mind downloading it all again if it were something that could be done in a short period of time, which it can not.

you need to get the IP from the machine you are wanting to connect to. Go to that machine, and at the run dialog, type cmd and press enter. Then type IPCONFIG and press enter.
that will show you a bunch of info. Look for something like this:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
where the x's are possible #'s from 1 to 254.
Then write the IP down. Lets say it's 192.168.2.101
go over to the other machine and open up the run dialog again. type \\192.168.2.101\c$ and press enter. For you, the IP will be what you wrote down. try that and let us know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom