How to set a WEP on the second computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvioniX

Solid State Member
I'm not sure if the title make sense to you guys, but I know almost nothing to wireless networking. Me and My friend (who live next door) are trying to set-up a wireless network for the internet. So we bought (or I should say he) a linksys wireless router in order to do that.

When we wanted to set it up it was pretty easy on my computer. Only a few setting that are done automatically by the provided CD. I thought when we did it that we should put a security protection, because I've heard about how easy it is to connect to an unprotected network. So we setup a WEP password.
When it get to the point to connect his computer, we tried a few thing, but it didnt really work. I found this on the Linksys website that seem to explain how to set it up, but it doesnt seem to work:

-Click on the Start button and click on the Run option.

-When the “Run” window opens, type in ncpa.cpl into the “Open” field.

-When the “Network Connections” window opens, right click on your Wireless Network Connection icon and select the Properties option.

-After the “Wireless Network Connection Properties” window opens, click on the Wireless Networks tab.

-When the “Wireless Networks” area appears, go to the “Preferred networks” pane (which is the second pane), and click on your SSID. Then, click the Properties button.
The default SSID for all Linksys Wireless Access Points and Wireless Routers is linksys.

-When the “SSID Properties” window opens, check the option for Data Encryption (WEP enabled) or click on the “Data Encryption” dropdown box then select WEP.

-Uncheck the This key is provided for me automatically box.

-Input your Wireless Network WEP Key into the “Network Key”* and “Confirm network key”* fields.

Now I dont know if it was the proper way to do. We seem to receive the signal, but we are unable to connect to it. As a temporary solution, we remove the WEP and run the network with no security, which I dont like.

HELP PLEASE!

Re:

Hello,

My advice- it's more important to enforce MAC Addressing than WEP across your network, or both if not at all. WEP can be cracked easily these days, in fact I think there's a published article somewhere on how to do this :confused: .

But to answering your query, it's likely that you've entered the WEP key incorrectly. Try a different key making sure that it's the same size in bits on both your router and machine.

What is MAC adresses?

I'm sorry, but I dont know much about that. Is there anyone that can either explain me what I should do or direct me on an article or a page that explain what to do and how to do it.

Re: Re:

Alvin.C said:
Hello,

My advice- it's more important to enforce MAC Addressing than WEP across your network, or both if not at all. WEP can be cracked easily these days, in fact I think there's a published article somewhere on how to do this :confused: .

But to answering your query, it's likely that you've entered the WEP key incorrectly. Try a different key making sure that it's the same size in bits on both your router and machine.

there sure is..i posted it :)

Yeah. WEP can be broken easily. The theory is pretty simple as well. Wonder why they never thought of em when they designed it. :confused:.. These guys take years to standadize something and breaking them is as easy as an exam question on a crypto course. *sigh*

Ok now I understand that MAC adressing. But I wonder if I should still encrypt the signal. You guys seem to say that WEP is pretty easy to decrypt, so what about WPA. My router offer 2 kind of those though "WPA RADIUS" and "WPA pre shared key". Is it better or not???

I'm sorry for all those question, But I cannot find anything on the net that give me a clear answer that I can trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom