how to set up this network.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickthing

Solid State Member
http://snakebitephotography.com/network.jpg

i'm hoping it pretty easy to follow my diagram. i know how to set up a single router network, just not a multi-router/ap network. the befsr41 has a 'wan' port and an 'uplink' port. wireless internet is plugged into the wan port. the wrt54g has an 'internet' port.

if someone could help me with this asap, i would certainly appreciate it! i'm mostly confused on:

1. how to configure both routers
2. how to keep the networks separate
3. how to keep computer 4 from seeing either of the networks

many thanks in advance!

Put the 3 pc's in one workgroup, e.g workgroup 'A'
Put the other two computers in two other workgroups, e.g workgroups 'B' and 'C'

That should work for what you're trying to do. Ideally you should get a cisco switch, split the networks up into vlans and only bother using one router, but anyway...

If you want to take it further both Worrkgroup b and wirless c would and should have there own routers and NAT setup.

befsr41
External IP: x.x.x.x
Subnet Mask: x.x.x.x
Gateway: x.x.x.x
DNS: x.x.x.x
-------------------------------
Internal IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
NAT: On
DHCP: On (Pool is x.x.1.100 - x.x.1.200)

wrt54g
External IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1
-------------------------------
Internal IP: 192.168.2.1
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
NAT: On
DHCP: On (Pool is x.x.2.100 - x.x.2.200)

(Wiring should be from port 1, 2 3 or 4 from the befsr41 to the Internet port on the wrt54g)

Computers Plugged Into the BEFSR41
Computer 1
IP Address: 192.168.1.101
DGW: 192.168.1.1
DNS2: 4.2.2.1
Workgroup: WorkgroupA*
File And Print Sharing: On
All users that log in from 1, 2 and 3 should be on here locally
Users logged in to computers 4 and 5 should not be on here
Simple File and Print Sharing Off

Computer 2
IP Address: 192.168.1.102

Computer 3
IP Address: 192.168.1.103

Computers Plugged Into the WRT54G
Computer 4
IP Address: 192.168.2.101
DGW: 192.168.2.1
DNS: 192.168.2.1
Workgroup: WorkgroupB*
File And Print Sharing: Off
Users logged in to computers 1, 2, 3 and 5 should not be on here

Wireless Computers
Computer 5
IP Address: 192.168.2.102
DGW: 192.168.2.1
DNS: 192.168.2.1
Workgroup: WorkgroupC*
Users logged in to computers 1, 2, 3 and 4 should not be on here

*Workgroups don't matter, but if you turn off file and print sharing on the computers you don't want to be "located" on the network... then you won't have to worry about that one (Computer 4)

As for Computer 5, again, workgroups are irrelevant but if you disable simple file and print sharing and then ADD USERS to your shared resources that you want on there and DELETE the users (and groups) that you dont want on there, then you can easily get all of this done

You don't need 2 different routers for computers 4 and 5. Computer 4 should just have file and print sharing turned off and the users that log into computer 4 should be removed from all other machines.... easy as that.

a managed switch is overkill. you dont need vlan support and you can get everything you want done with what you have. in fact, it's not even an "ideal" piece to this puzzle. You are still wishing to have wireless setup and you would still needed routing. You are still going to have to setup the users and passwords on each computer and disable file and print sharing. But, if you want to shell out an extra $90.00 for a vlan supportable switch.. go fot it. It's not needed.

^ I wans't being serious about doing the whole vlan-switching thing, obviously no home user is really ever gonna require that.
apart from that, 10 points for detail there! I'm a little rusty with workgroups...

I was really wondering why you would offer up the vlan thing. It seemed a little odd coming from you LOL :p
The reason why I thought you were serious is that managed switching is becoming more and more user-home friendly every year. The prices are down, more and more reasons for getting one are coming out as well.

What part of workgroups are you rusty with? I'm in a teaching mood right now :)

well, if you're still in a teaching mood, I was just stuck on exactly how effectively (if at all) workgroups stop access/connections from other workgroups.

E.g lets say I am a user in workgroup A. Will I...
1. Be able to 'see' hosts in workgroup B on the network
2. Be able to ping any hosts in workgroup B from workgroup A (and I think I should be able to)
3. Connect to hosts in workgroup B from wg A (as in \\computername in address bar)

In general? Or in this particular case?

I'll answer both...

IN GENERAL
If you have 1 router with 1 subnet and 3, 5, 10, 15 workgroups all with the same IP address scheme
(192.168.1.x) then, yes, you:

1) Will be able to see hosts sharing no matter what the workgroup (XP, 2000, Vista, 7, 03/08 all included)
2) Yes
3) Yes, or like in XP and below, you can actually browse to them via My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Then it should show all domains and workgroups in the LAN or WAN that contain hosts that have file/print sharing enabled... now, whether or not you will be able to access those hosts is up to how they are shared (Your username and password may/may not have read/write access to those hosts.... setup from the host)
3... extended) A short way to avoid finding out through a network map which host is in which workgroup or domain, yes you can use a UNC (\\host\share) and you should be able to connect (given that you LAN or WAN is physically setup in a fashion that enables you to physically)

The long and short of workgroups is... they dont matter, they were originally created for organizational purposes only and they do not hold, nor can they hold, permissions sets. Simple reason being, workgroups are used in a peer to peer environment or a domain/peer to peer mixed environment. Those in the peer to peer environment that are in a specific workgroup hold all of their permissions on their own local node or workstation (folder/drive sharing permissions) Workgroups just makes nodes easier to locate in a multi-workgroup (but still all peer to peer) network. The "Workgroup" or "Domain" will hold permission sets and then appear to deny certain people/groups/computers/other domains from them only when the domain controller holds the permission sets for domain... thus, all permissions are held in active directory (or similar perhaps in a *nux envirnment) And in this case, it's a domain and no longer a Peer to Peer network
and in this final case, the workgroup is no longer defined in a workgroup...it's a domain at this point.

In a peer to peer network, nodes never have to be in the same workgroup in order to share files/printers with each other.

THIS PARTICULAR THREAD
E.g lets say I am a user in workgroup A. Will I...
1. Be able to 'see' hosts in workgroup B on the network
No, because the only node in WorkgroupB has file and print sharing turned off
Also, no because it will be behind the second router's NAT***

2. Be able to ping any hosts in workgroup B from workgroup A (and I think I should be able to)
No
Only because the node in workgroupB is behind the second router's NAT***

3. Connect to hosts in workgroup B from wg A (as in \\computername in address bar)
No, again, because file and print sharing is off on the the node in workgroup B

***Now, if there was a 0.0.0.0 static route setup
An ICMP request will be able to be returned from the node (unless rejected by a firewall) because the ping has nothing to do with file and print sharing, but you still would not be able to see the node due to file and print sharing being off on the node

If the static route existed and the node in workgroupb had file and print sharing turned on but just in a different workgroup? Sure, absolutely.

Hopefully that covered your question, sorry if I confused ya... :( If you have any other question let me know because sometimes I can explain it in more detail with a more direct question

lol, confused ME? Confused the network GOD?? HA!
lulz, jj
Right, cheers for clearing that up for me mate. I was just confused because last time I played with workgroups was when I was around 13...good to get it finally sorted out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom