How to set up internet connection sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummo.nz

Solid State Member
Hi guys, I've been reading on the net for a few hours now trying to find out how to get my two computer's to share my internet connection. I had no idea how to go about it and after reading various items I am unfortunately still very much in the dark.

One computer has WinXP Home SP1&2.
The other has WinXP Pro SP1.
I am using a DSE (**** Smith Electronics) ADSL Ethernet Router.

Currently the one computer connected to the internet is connected to the router via a cat-5 cable.
I have tried running the network setup wizard then selecting the 'directly to the internet' and also 'via a hub' and 'gateway computer'. Deleting the connections in between, but no joy.
I have the second computer plugged into the router also using a cat-5.

I get the feeling it's probably something pretty easy, perhaps I need to set something with my router?

click start|run, type in cmd and press enter. type in ipconfig /all and press enter. this will show you information about your network connections. If your ip address starts with 169 or has all zeros, let us know. try running ping 192.168.1.1 (im guessing thats the ip address of your router, it could fail because its not the right address) that will show that your connected to the router. run ping www.yahoo.com this confirm your inet access, this will prolly fail. if your connected to the router and this fails, then you could have dns issues.

when you connect 1 computer to the ADSL Ethernet Router do you get internet? are you only having problems with getting more than 1 computer to share the internet or are you getting no internet access at all? you may want to reset your ADSL Ethernet Router before you try something else. what connections/ ports are on the ADSL Ethernet Router and which are you using? did you connect the modem from the phone line to the WAN or internet port on the ADSL Ethernet Router? did your ISP confirm that your DSL service is activated at your location?

I could use the internet with one computer, and now have suceeded in sharing an internet connection with the second computer so that's all good. Thank you for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom