How to set static public IP? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default How to set static public IP?

I am trying to start a Minecraft server with a couple friends. I have made 100% sure that I port forwarded correctly, and set my static IPv4 address properly with my default gateway. Unfortunately, my friends can't connect. I had him ping the server (my IPv4 address) and it didn't work. When I pinged it and used PortCheckTool.com, it worked. I've narrowed it down to other networks not being able to access it.

Here's where the problem lies;
I am pretty sure the IP address I'm using is internal, and can only be accessed by my home network. Is there any way I could find my public IP address, and make it work?

Old 05-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: How to set static public IP?

Google "what's my IP" and it'll tell you what your current external (public) IP is for your friend to connect to. As long as you setup your port forwards correctly that should be it.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Google "what's my IP" and it'll tell you what your current external (public) IP is for your friend to connect to. As long as you setup your port forwards correctly that should be it.
Anyway I could make this static?
Old 05-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Also, it doesn't work.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Your ISP is the one who would make it static, and if they offer the service they usually charge a fee for it. You can ask them though

Otherwise there's services like dyndns, which maps your dynamic public IP address to a static dns name (e.g. cwformansgameserver.dyndns.com or something). Not sure if that'd be useful for whatever game you're trying to play

For the port forward on your router, you need your PC's internal IP (e.g 192.168.1.45 or whatever) and the port your game requires. If it's port 8123, then any incoming requests on port 8123 need to fwd to IP 192.168.1.45 on port 8123 for example.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can pay your ISP to set a static IP, though this would probably be their "business class" connection.

Your best bet would be to set up a DNS name and a Dynamic DNS update service. CloudFlare can do both of these for you

- iFargle.com -
Desktop || 7700k 32GB RAM 2TB M.2 SATA GTX 1080 DAN A4v4 Fedora 30 WS
Laptop || 2018 15" MacBook Pro 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Radeon Pro 555X macOS
128GB OnePlus 6 64GB iPad Air 2 || Battle.net: iFargle #1561 Steam: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
minecraft pc, port forwarding, server