How to set static public IP?

cwforman

Beta member
I am trying to start a Minecraft server with a couple friends. I have made 100% sure that I port forwarded correctly, and set my static IPv4 address properly with my default gateway. Unfortunately, my friends can't connect. I had him ping the server (my IPv4 address) and it didn't work. When I pinged it and used PortCheckTool.com, it worked. I've narrowed it down to other networks not being able to access it.

Here's where the problem lies;
I am pretty sure the IP address I'm using is internal, and can only be accessed by my home network. Is there any way I could find my public IP address, and make it work?

Last edited:
Google "what's my IP" and it'll tell you what your current external (public) IP is for your friend to connect to. As long as you setup your port forwards correctly that should be it.

Your ISP is the one who would make it static, and if they offer the service they usually charge a fee for it. You can ask them though

Otherwise there's services like dyndns, which maps your dynamic public IP address to a static dns name (e.g. cwformansgameserver.dyndns.com or something). Not sure if that'd be useful for whatever game you're trying to play

For the port forward on your router, you need your PC's internal IP (e.g 192.168.1.45 or whatever) and the port your game requires. If it's port 8123, then any incoming requests on port 8123 need to fwd to IP 192.168.1.45 on port 8123 for example.

You can pay your ISP to set a static IP, though this would probably be their "business class" connection.

Your best bet would be to set up a DNS name and a Dynamic DNS update service. CloudFlare can do both of these for you

Back
Top Bottom