How to route...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zilantyas said:
If my memory serves me correctly usually a Linksys router Gateway address is 192.168.1.1
Open Internet Explorer and type: http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar to get to the router admin page!

The first thing I would check is to be sure that the Windows XP machince does not have the built-in firewall enabled.
1. Go to START>CONTROL PANEL
2. Double-click NETWORK CONNECTIONS
3. Right-click your Internet Connection (e.g. Local Area Connection) Select PROPERTIES
4. Once Properties open click the ADVANCED tab
5. Under "Internet Connection Firewall" be sure that the box is unchecked.
6. Click OK

i think it is 192.168.0.1 is the router adress and the other pc are 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, etc

btw wat is the diff betwen cat5 and 6??

my linksys, when reset, goes to 192.168.1.1

The easy way to check would be to reset the router, and tell your computer to automatically obtain an IP address. Follow zilantyas instructions to step three. You should see a window that probably has a scroll bar on the right. Scroll down until you see "Internet Protocol TCP/IP", and left click on this. Just below this window will be three buttons. Click the properties button. This will pop up a new window. Change the two sets of radial buttons to obtain ... automatically. Click ok until you've exited out of this. Now click the start button, go to run, and type "cmd" and enter. This should bring up a dos box. type "ipconfig" and press enter. The last three lines will end with numbers. The bottom is the gateway, and is the internal address of your router. It will probably be 192.168.1.1.

Open up Internet Explorer, and type the address that is in your gateway into the address bar. This will pop up a window, asking for a user name and password. Leave the user name blank, and the default password for Linksys productus is "admin"

That will get you into your router.

Sorry inatey, didn't see your question.

Cat 5 and Cat 6 are both 4 pair twisted pair copper. Cat 5 cable is unshielded, while Cat 6 is shielded. Cat 6 is more expensive, but also supposed to be capable of handling gigabit ethernet and probably even higher speeds.

Hi you guys were talking way above my head, but I'm gonna jump in anyway. I have a main computer and a laptop computer linked by a network card in both and running XP network. The main computer is linked to a Fujitsu adsl modem. The main computer must be switched on for the laptop to access the web. I am toying with the idea of getting a Modem/router/firewall all in one box job. Will the laptop then be able to access the web without the main computer being switched on? From research I have done the model I am looking to get gives a more stable bandwidth and the firewall is good too. Any comments from you guy's would be helpful to a novice trying to get to grips with today's technology.

inatey, a crossover cable is used to connect two computers directly together. There's a specific order that the wires go in when the end of the cable is crimped on. A crossover cable changes two wires. I used to know the order, but haven't made any cables lately.

clisue, I would suggest not getting a combination modem and router. I just personally don't like them, and besides, you already have a modem, so why spend the extra cash. Pick up a good router. Personally, I like Linksys, but you'll probably get told something different by other people. If you use the router, and connect the wires directly to the router, your desktop won't need to be on. You also might want to start a thread. You'll get better results.

Hilowe, Thanks for the reply. I was looking at a combo modem router for the firewall too. I have heard they are more effivient than the software types. But you have answered my main question. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom