how to reset a network card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Solid State Member
Sorry if my question is too elementary. I need help.

My PC running WIN 98SE has a 3COM network card to receive cablemodem signal.

I am having a hard time getting out of the typical "169 254 etc etc" IP that windows asigns.

Running "winipcnfg.exe" shows that IP and submask 255 255 000 000, but even if instructing in TCP/IP properies of the card to get an automatic IP from the DHCP, my card resists the change.

The help desk from my cablemodem server says that those settings should be changed but even if trying, from "winipcnfg" to "renew" or "renew all" the card doesn't actually changes anything.

Can anyone out there teach me how to force the NIC to release the forced/automatic IP and to acquire the IP imposed by the DHCP?

Please, I am paying a cablemodem service and can not use it!!

Gracias

Changing the settings in the TCP/IP properties should be all you need to do. IP addresses are assigned either manually or by DHCP. The cards unique ID is it's MAC address which you won't be able to change. It may be worth investigating whether or not some other software is setting the IP address on your card outside of the windows system software.

atferrari said:
Can anyone out there teach me how to force the NIC to release the forced/automatic IP and to acquire the IP imposed by the DHCP?

windows assigns the auto-ip because your comp cannot contact the dhcp server. There's a problem with your connection settings. First, make sure you don't have any firewalls running. Next, get instructions from your ISP about how to setup the connection.

Also, powercycle the modem to clear any bugs.

delete the TCP/IP protocol, reboot, re-install the protocol, reboot

this will work in combination with the 2 above posts

OK - and what about the firewall?

I am going to try all the above today at night.

Once everything up and running (I hope) what should I do with my firewall? Re install it?

Otherwise I would loose its advantages, right?

Any additional precaution when doing that?

Thanks to you three for replying.

Once yer internet werks u can safely re-install your firewall.
And make sure u have the right cable, u need a straight CAT5 cable btween yer NIC and modem.

Thanks gentlemen!

Just reinstalling drivers worked OK at the first try.

Tomorrow will reinstall the firewall.

Gracias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom