how to network with switch"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshnx

Baseband Member
I have 2 pc's and had networked them before ...now i have a switch and a broadband connection n would like to connect the broadband to the switch so that the other computer too can benefit from this connection...the broadband connection requires a distinct ip address and mask and gateways n all..how do i do this? i have 1).plenty LAN cables 2.)one netgear switch 3)2 pc's 3).about 3 - 4 lan cards..4.)one broadband connection

Hello,

I'm no networking expert, but I'm pretty sure you need a gateway between the switch and the modem. I've hardly ever seen a consumer gateway by itself before, only as part of a router (which is essentially a switch and gateway in one box).

It is possible use one of your PCs as a gateway by installing linux (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3866), but it can be tricky, especially if you're not comfortable with using linux.

My advice? Buy and use a home router.

Yes, as Alvin mentioned, you will likely need a ROUTER to connect to the broadband modem to perform NAT. The expection to this, is if you have purchased MULTIPLE IP addresses from the ISP (you will know if you did, because they charge you extra). Basically, what NAT does is it takes the ONE public IP address that the ISP gives you, and it assigns that to the WAN port of the router. The computers in your LAN then have PRIVATE IP addresses that are BEHIND the router, and all the computers use that SINGLE IP address for communication with the ISP.

Another option is to connect a computer directly to the modem, and put a 2nd NIC in that computer, and connect the switch to that 2nd NIC. Connect the other hosts to the switch, then enable ICS on the 'gateway' computer...
Computer Technology Forum - Internet connection sharing behind a router

Your most painless option would be to get a router though, they are pretty cheap. You can get a pretty decent Wireless router for under $60

The main thing that you'll need if you want your current setup to work, (without buying a router as the above two posts have mentioned, or turning one of the computers into a gateway) is for your internet provider to give you two IP addresses.

Depending on who your internet provider is and what package you have with them, many providers often give you two addresses. Sometimes they're active by default and you just need to plug the things in. Somethings you need to call them to activate the second IP address.

Either way, plug the modem into the switch. Then the computers into the switch, then unplug the power from the modem. Wait about a minute and plug it back in. If only one of the computers internet works, then you only have one IP address. So either your internet package doesn't have a second IP, or it just hasn't been activated by your ISP.

I gaurentee that the only way you will get 2 IP addresses from the the ISP is by getting a package that specifically has 2 or more in it, or if your ISP doesn't know what they are doing.

ok thaNks u guys ...guess im gonna have to buy a router only as dun think they've started givin multiple ip addresses here yet.....i had made it work once without the switch that was by connectin both the other computer and the modem to one pc ...but then later on i got one more pc n wanted to get ics started on that hence the switch..thanks anyways

Forgot to mention, connecting a switch directly to the modem WILL work, but you will only be able to get one host online at a time....

I gaurentee that the only way you will get 2 IP addresses from the the ISP is by getting a package that specifically has 2 or more in it, or if your ISP doesn't know what they are doing.

Not true. In my area there are two internet providers. Shaw, and telus.
Both shaw and telus include two IPs with every single package they have.

...Except the "lite speed" packages which are barely better than dialup. (15kbs download cap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom